Want to learn how to use the Support Forums?
Read the forum guidelines
I have Cox cable at home and the TV works well with my TiVo device and cable card. For my study, I jus tuse the web browser.
However there is no sound for some channels. TNT, Paramount, WGN for example have video but no sound. I have cleared the cache and reset the browsers and rebooted....al the tech stuff. Still no sound. Funny though, that when I access TV Go on the same network (as if I were not home) the sound and video are just fine.
I contacted Cox and they had me go through all the troubleshooting as if it were my system but nothing. They then said that they will submit a ticket. Well that ticket is in the proverbial black box of purgatory.. No more from Cox.
When I use my Contour App on my phone the video is choppy or stuck and no sound. for the same channels. There is something clearly wrong with the signal being sent for certain channels.
Anybody else have the same issues?
It's on their end but until one of their techs tries watching TNT on their phone you will get nothing but run-around.
On both my mobile apps and desktop browsers i will get no sound on specific channels. And it started a month or less ago. And i have not updated my mobile Contour app in that time.
However, i did get the audio back half the time when visiting the SAP settings and choosing either espanol or video description, whichever happens to be available.
ucjuicy said:On both my mobile apps and desktop browsers i will get no sound on specific channels.
I tested https://watchtv.cox.com on my desktop using Chrome. The video and sound worked for every channel I tested... CNN, TNT, Paramount, WGN. I don't have the Contour app installed. Is there anything about the app that could possibly affect an individual's account settings on a Cox server in a way that would alter performance when accessing the website with a desktop browser?
Also, just to eliminate possibilities, did you verify that neither the website's sound or your computer were muted when viewing channels with no sound?
CurtB, so it works for you, interesting. I tried Chrome again this morning (usually use Firefox) but have also found the issue on Edge. I'm on W10 machine here in SoCal.
For Chrome, TNT (18), Freedom(19), Paramount(52), WGN(68) plus newly found trvl(53), tlc(54) bravo(55) all did not work. CBS(2) & weather(51) worked. When channels failed, it was usually the sound. On a few, the screen was blank, or the video was stuck. After sliding the SAP to the right, the Sound did appear. Sometimes I need to wait till the "Attempting to Resume" refresh screen to appear. On a few, if SAP is not there, try the Video Description icon.
On the platforms, I had to Enable Adobe Flash. Also, I do not have the App on my cell phone. I do check my COX account for recent phone call history, account info, and this forum.
My email to COX said ticket CUI000008292144 was created. Based on this forum comments, both the watchtv and cell phone App may be affected. Not sure why your Chrome worked.....do you have Firefox or Edge.
It's normal for Adobe Flash to have to be enabled for Chrome. I don't use Firefox or Edge. While we may be accessing the same network channels with the same web browser, we're in different markets. That's a Cox variable that may produce unpredicatble results.
I only have two minor issues with the https://watchtv.cox.com website.
1) The "Controls Auto-Hide Delay" event doesn't fire when a new channel is selected. It requires a cursor move or full screen change for screen controls to be removed. It's a minor issue and the main reason it's annoying is because it would be such a relatively simple thing to fix.
2) When "X" is entered to exit a channel, the current channel isn't always the channel in the grid that's selected. It complicates grid navigation using the keyboard.
I contacted Cox about both of these minor issues a long time ago. As far as I know, there hasn't been an update to that site recently. I don't expect a change before the update to replace Adobe Flash that is scheduled to be retired next year.
CurtB....yes, the watchtv is novel...I have never used it till the bug showed in this Forum and I wanted to peek at the issue. It happens on all browsers, and apparently the cell Apps. Your observation about the location of broadcast is interesting, because I don't see any other suspicious fault. Cox has a ticket, but there is no online tracking available.
The "X" closing did bother me when I wanted to know where I was when I exited. Maybe a tweak on Cox part could help.
ekhawaii said:Your observation about the location of broadcast is interesting, because I don't see any other suspicious fault.
I didn't actually say anything about a location of broadcast. https://watchtv.cox.com is a streaming website.
We're in different markets which means the Contour grids we see are different. All the networks you mentioned are different numbers in my grid. That is a Cox variable. But, when I say the differences are unpredictable, it just means I can't say if that matters because I have no way to know.
It appears I may have been right when I speculated that Cox had released a new version of the https://watchtv.cox.com website into selected markets. Now they've released it into others, including mine. ekhawaii mentioned "Attempting to Resume" is necessary for some channels. I'm seeing that now and I never did before.
The new version includes the following two changes:
1. The "Controls Auto-Hide Delay" event now fires to clear screen controls when a new channel is selected. At least it does the first time that channel is selected in the current session. If you go to a different channel and then go back to a previously selected channel, the event doesn't fire again. Maybe that will be fixed when the next version is released, whenever that may be.
2. When an "X" is entered to exit a channel, the current channel is now selected in the grid. This will make keyboard navigation easier.
That was the good news. The bad news is that while I never had any picture and audio issues like those a number of users have described, I have them now too. Cox just released the new version with the picture and audio issues into more markets which means there will be a whole new group of users that will be affected by it now.
CurtB...for COX, at least things keep changing.
1. I never noticed the auto-hide, and the fact that it either stays on or at times does disappear. Hard to control. Tried flipping back and forth.
2. the "X, again I never saw the channel remaining highlighted. I always tended to use the 'X at the top rt, which never showed the original station.
3. so difficult to answers all the users. I know that the "S or SAP toggle works. I did notice that the GEAR setting has something for SAP Language setting. Maybe those that tried 's and got Spanish, should check if English is chosen or Spanish. Since each Market is different, COX has their hands full. They have never explained what they do with this issue and why it occurs only on a selected channels and not the whole set.
In my market, Fox Sports Southwest has no audio when SAP is OFF. Audio in English is restored when SAP is toggled ON. I reported this to Cox with an email to email@example.com. The first time I selected FSSW today, there was no audio until I toggled SAP ON to get audio. Later, after reloading the website, I noticed something different. When I selected FSSW, SAP was automatically toggled ON and it had audio in English. I exiited the channel and selected FSSW again. This time audio was ON without the automatic SAP selection because SAP was already ON. I then selected another channel where SAP doesn't have to be ON for audio and SAP was automatically toggled OFF. When I exited that channel and selected it again, audio was ON in English without the automatic SAP selection because SAP was already OFF.
It appears Cox is workimg on a patch to correct the audio issue by auto-selecting the appropriate SAP setting (On/OFF) on a channel by channel basis.
However, a little testing has determined it isn't foolproof... at least not yet. I just changed to a Spanish SAP channel while SAP was ON and it didn't automatically toggle SAP OFF. I recycled the exact same sequence a few minutes later and it did the SAP auto-select correctly. So, work in progress I guess.