Forum Discussion

letti001
New Contributor III
5 years ago

Cox Contour on Browser has no sound for home but does for TV Go

Greetings,

I have Cox cable at home and the TV works well with my TiVo device and cable card. For my study, I jus tuse the web browser.

However there is no sound for some channels. TNT, Paramount, WGN for example have video but no sound. I have cleared the cache and reset the browsers and rebooted....al the tech stuff. Still no sound. Funny though, that when I access TV Go on the same network (as if I were not home) the sound and video are just fine.

I contacted Cox and they had me go through all the troubleshooting as if it were my system but nothing. They then said that they will submit a ticket. Well that ticket is in the proverbial black box of purgatory.. No more from Cox.

When I use my Contour App on my phone the video is choppy or stuck and no sound. for the same channels. There is something clearly wrong with the signal being sent for certain channels.

Anybody else have the same issues?

Thank you.

Sal

76 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

letti001, I just tested TNT, Paramount and WGN on the Contour website using Chrome on a Desktop PC and the sound was fine.

letti001
      New Contributor III

Thank you for checking. It is really odd. It used to work for me though. Just not now.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @letti001 Hello, can you please email us at cox.help@cox.com? I'd like to take a look at the escalation in place, and see what the status of it is. Have you tried using multiple web browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Firefox? I would also recommend uninstalling it on your phone and reinstalling it to see if that resolves the issue. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      letti001
      New Contributor III

I have used Firefox, IE, Chrome and Edge. 

If I send an email, can I just place a link to this forum so I do not need to explain it all over again?

letti001
      New Contributor III

I will uninstall and reinstall as you suggest.

chazzx
    New Contributor

I can't even get the watchtv.cox.com website to load, no matter what browser or PC I use.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Chazzx, do you receive an error message when attempting to access Contour through the website? Are you able to access Contour using the Contour App? Would you be able to email us at cox.help@cox.com, so we may attempt to replicate this issue using your login credentials? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      ekhawaii
      Contributor

Hey chazzx, never knew about this Online COX TV website.  I tried it from my W10 Firefox and it worked for viewing and for sound on various channels, including my STARZ.  Did not try specific TNT, WGN....However, when I exited the tab, I could not log back on.  Not sure if browser needs reloading.  I checked my ID/pass a couple of times.  This site could be useful for phone apps and computer, where TV is not available...

Whitelabel Error Page

This application has no explicit mapping for /error, so you are seeing this as a fallback.

Sun Jul 14 17:03:13 UTC 2019
      There was an unexpected error (type=Unauthorized, status=401).
      Unauthorized

letti001.....maybe the sound icon on the bottom rt of the COX TV window is set to mute or the slidebar is  low or you have mute on the computers audio.  I had the TV window sound on mute originally.

ekhawaii
      Contributor

I tried restarting Firefox, and finally restarted my computer....no luck, cannot re-logon to watchtv.  ID/pass, who knows...must be on COX side...at least my TV works.  Frustrating for you Apps/online guys with no sound or connections

ekhawaii
        Contributor

KevinM2....I'm using Firefox, and do have problems with the login.  Cleared the cache, history here.  It sometimes works and other times fails.  I've used Chrome and Edge.  I'm able to login/off and re-login to these, so far.  With FF, I can't seem to pinpoint the problem...after enter of id/pass, the screen re-displays and I need to re-enter id/pass then I get a message.  I've been trying to play with different login paths to the watchTV for Cox... I see an Adobe Flash msg on the Chrome/Edge, but I believe that is after my ID verify.  With FF, I get the Whitelabel error from above.  I've also looked to see if there are any bloc of the idm.east.cox.net

Now about the original poster's, not getting sound on the TNT 18/1018 channel.  I get NO sound using all 3 browsers....there may be others, but TNT is a no sound for me.

• OK, I've been emailing with cox.help and testing various item.  TNT/18, Freedom/19, Paramount/52 and WGN/68.  On different sites, depending if there is a 2nd language available, I had luck getting both sound and motion.  At the screen bottom right there is a Language Setting icon that has 3 buttons that can be slid on/off.  the 2nd is Secondary Audio (SAP).  Try turning on and off.  Depending if there is a Spanish broadcast or only English, this was enough for me to get sound and motion.  It does not always work, depending on the actual broadcast.  If the station is stuck, try the SAP on.

Also, if the Secondary is not there, try turning on the Video Description.  Worth a try till Cox makes a permanent fix.

letti001
      New Contributor III

Looks like I fixed my problem myself. I tried Cox help but was told to reset the cache and all sorts of stuff I had already done. It seems, for some reason, that Video Description was off. When I clicked it on, then sound! I just looked at it again and was going to take a screen shot to show and then it was off again. No sound. I clicked it on and then sound again. In the right lower hand corner there is a text bubble that is for Language Settings. This has something called Video Description.

CrystalS
        Former Moderator
        Hi Letti001, our video engineers are investigating this issue. What channels are impacted?

Crystal
        Cox Support Forum Moderator 
      CurtB
      Valued Contributor III
      At the screen bottom right there is a Language Setting icon that has 3 buttons that can be slid on/off.  the 2nd is Secondary Audio (SAP).

You can also toggle SAP by pressing "S" on the keyboard.

? - Display keyboard controls

C - Toggle closed captions

M - Mute audio

S -  Toggle SAP

V - Toggle video description

ekhawaii
        Contributor

CurtB...Wow, look at this info, Awesome with all your great thoughts and insight.  You sure are into many of these hidden gems along with your technical contribution.  The ?, which opens the Keyboard Shortcuts could be invaluable to the Cell Apps guys....eliminates picking something on the screen.

Still no resolution to the Sound issue for watchtv or Apps from Cox.  Hope users with issues can find some hope to this dilemma.

ucjuicy
    New Contributor

It's on their end but until one of their techs tries watching TNT on their phone you will get nothing but run-around.

On both my mobile apps and desktop browsers i will get no sound on specific channels. And it started a month or less ago. And i have not updated my mobile Contour app in that time.

However, i did get the audio back half the time when visiting the SAP settings and choosing either espanol or video description, whichever happens to be available.

ucjuicy
    New Contributor

It's on their end but until one of their techs tries watching TNT on their phone you will get nothing but run-around.

On both my mobile apps and desktop browsers i will get no sound on specific channels. And it started a month or less ago. And i have not updated my mobile Contour app in that time.

However, i did get the audio back half the time when visiting the SAP settings and choosing either espanol or video description, whichever happens to be available.

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hi Ucjuicy, our video engineers ae investigating this issue. What channels are impacted? -Crystal
        letti001
        New Contributor III

I am back to the sound not working 😞 This is really odd for sure. A majority of the channels work fine. It is just a few that do not work with sound. the video description button is not able to be changed any more. 

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III
      On both my mobile apps and desktop browsers i will get no sound on specific channels.

I tested https://watchtv.cox.com on my desktop using Chrome.  The video and sound worked for every channel I tested... CNN, TNT, Paramount, WGN.  I don't have the Contour app installed.  Is there anything about the app that could possibly affect an individual's account settings on a Cox server in a way that would alter performance when accessing the website with a desktop browser?

Also, just to eliminate possibilities, did you verify that neither the website's sound or your computer were muted when viewing channels with no sound?

ekhawaii
        Contributor

CurtB, so it works for you, interesting.  I tried Chrome again this morning (usually use Firefox) but have also found the issue on Edge.  I'm on W10 machine here in SoCal.

For Chrome, TNT (18), Freedom(19), Paramount(52), WGN(68) plus newly found trvl(53), tlc(54) bravo(55) all did not work.  CBS(2) & weather(51) worked.  When channels failed, it was usually the sound.  On a few, the screen was blank, or the video was stuck.  After sliding the SAP to the right, the Sound did appear.  Sometimes I need to wait till the "Attempting to Resume" refresh screen to appear.  On a few, if SAP is not there, try the Video Description icon.

On the platforms, I had to Enable Adobe Flash.  Also, I do not have the App on my cell phone.  I do check my COX account for recent phone call history, account info, and this forum.

My email to COX said ticket CUI000008292144 was created.  Based on this forum comments, both the watchtv and cell phone App may be affected.  Not sure why your Chrome worked.....do you have Firefox or Edge.

tenders1
    New Contributor

Having the same problem in Phoenix.  Worked with both Cox and Apple as Cox thought it might be my IPad that was causing the problem.  Because my Ipad was still under warranty, Apple gave me a new IPad.  Still the same problem, sound cuts out on random stations.  I find I can go to the ToGo channels and get sound, but when I’m in my house using my iPad I lose sound on my regular channels.

Called Cox back after receiving new iPad.  I was escalated to the next level of Tech Service after my IPad was swapped out, and a supervisor was going to call me but shockingly (yes, said with total sarcasm) no one has called.  I just lose sound on more channels.  Since I can’t get Cox to respond, looking like it’s time to move to a new provider.

ekhawaii
      Contributor

tenders1.....this is truly a pain for those that login to watchtv.cox.com.  The only temporary fix that seems to work is to keyboard type s on the page that the sound is blank.  Sometimes v has worked too.  But the s (secondary audio) does the trick.  Open the icon next to the gear (lower rt) and slide the dot.  Type ? to get a list of shortcuts.  Go back into this thread to read some of the comments.

What is strange is that COX was able to fix this on selected channels, like TNT, WGN, CNN in different markets.  HOWEVER, this "no sound" or stuck video, still appears.  For me in OrangeCo, 7 (abc) is broken.  Someone reported this a week ago and it's still broken.  I have reached out to COX about what in general is the issue, and how some of the markets get a fix....NO RESPONSE, other than Technicians are working!

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Ekhawaii, I have updated our escalation ticket in progress, to reflect the information you have provided in the Cox forums. This is currently being investigated and our engineering team is working on a resolution. In the meantime, if the issues are still taking place in the Contour app, we recommend uninstalling and reinstalling it. Additionally, we recommend ensuring that your devices' operating systems are up-to-date with the latest firmware. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Tenders1, we'd like the opportunity to work with you on a resolution, and it would be disheartening to see you move to a new provider. Can you please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com? Our Social Media Department can also be reached on Facebook and Twitter as well. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        letti001
        New Contributor III

I have a running ticket with Cox regarding ongoing issues. I simply send in the diagnostic data each time there is an issue. I have sound back now on channel 26 but now channel 12 will not run. 

kristiemom26
      New Contributor II

We are in Phoenix too.  Having same issue with ESPN and FOX Sports channels. No sound on iPad and no sound or picture on laptop.

Shagy214
    New Contributor

I'm having the same problem. no sound. I've tried it on Chrome, Explorer, and Edge but no sound. It will be fine for 30 seconds to a minute and than cut out. 

Shagy214
    New Contributor

I'm having the same problem. no sound. I've tried it on Chrome, Explorer, and Edge but no sound. It will be fine for 30 seconds to a minute and than cut out. 

letti001
      New Contributor III

I think the problem has been resolved. I received an email from Cox Support and they told me they worked it out and indeed I have checked the problem channels and they are working. I have not checked every channel as that would not be very practical, but it seems that we are back in business.