Forum Discussion

wirewheels
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Important emails getting blocked

This problem has posted several other users over the years.  I have searched but there is no definitive answer; I have contacted Cox directly and their conclusion is " we don't see a problem."  But I'll post this anyway.

For about a year I have been unable to get any emails from Newegg, a popular computer parts seller.  I have an account there.  When I try so sign in, they send a verification email that I never receive, so I cannot access my account. However, If I sign up with my wife's email account (which is a Cox sub-account), it works.  I contacted Newegg, and they don't know why this is happening.

Just this week I bought a new iPhone, which came with gift card.  The gift card code is sent by email.  Apple says it has been sent.  I haven't received it.  I had Apple re-send it, they confirmed it had been sent, but it has not been received.  Before you ask, it is not in my spam folder, and I do not have a blocked sender list.  

23 Replies

bearone2
    Contributor III

have you ever logged into webmail to see if it's in spam??

fwiw: i check every day!

just checked, i had 6 today, sometimes 12, sometimes 2.

• @Wirewheels, Are you using a third party mail program like Outlook to access your emails? If so, please try to access your email on our webmail website and see if there is any different results. Also, Please make sure that you have not blocked the domains of these senders. I also recommend checking your filter rules to make sure that there are no rules setup that could impact these email addresses. Lastly, check your spam settings and make sure that it is not automatically deleting spam email without sending to your inbox. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      wirewheels
      New Contributor II

I am normally use Outlook, but I am looking at Cox webmail right now. I do not have any blocked senders.  My spam setting is "Send to spam folder"

Allan
        If you do not have those addresses or domains filtered or blocked, then I would recommend verifying with those 2 companies and make sure that they have your correct email address. Also, they may be able to provide you with any returned errors. This can give us a better idea of what is going on. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      bearone2
      Contributor III

i had never seen the auto delete spam, i use what i guess is the default setting, deliver to spam folder.

thanks for the tip!

richard92
    New Contributor II

I'm having the exact same problem.

All of a sudden, as of five days ago, the Spam Blocker is blocking all manner of legitimate, sometimes quite important emails which I should be receiving.  I am unable to think of anything I did which might remotely have had such an effect.  I certainly did not add the email addresses of any of my banks to my Blocked Senders list, for example.  

Just today, I have approx. 20 emails, each of which will have to be clicked twice, with loading & waiting time, before I can then switch to my Inbox to actually process the emails.  

This is a serious obstacle to me being a Cox Internet subscriber, if it cannot be fixed soon.  

The suggestions which I have seen in this thread so far are all not applicable or impracticle.  

I appreciate anything anyone can tell me, please & thanks, 

Richard92

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

"Blocked Senders" blocks messages from selected email addresses and domains from being received at all.  Being added to "Blocked Senders" wouldn't cause email to go to Spam.  

Did any emails that went to Spam folder have your Webmail address in the subject or body?  Email with your Webmail address anywhere in the subject or body will go to the Spam folder.  Email containing abcmyemail@cox.netxyz sent to myemail@cox.net would go to Spam.

richard92
        New Contributor II

Some of those emails in the Spam Folder did indeed have my email address in them.  The ones in question were actually sent to me from me in the same email address.  It is not an uncommon situation that the easiest way for me to make a not of something in a serviceable, useful way is to send myself an email.  Or it is the best way to get something printed.  

Cox webmail does better at printing than many other applications I end up working with.  

richard92
    New Contributor II

... if Cox could a listing for domain names which are always allowed to the Inbox, then that would be my first suggestion....

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Things will probably change (for better or worse) once Cox transitions all email to Yahoo. 

richard92
        New Contributor II

Thanks for that.  (Somebody is here, yay!)

richard92
    New Contributor II

I think I have figured out how to use the Filter Rules algorithm to set up rules to be sure emails from certain domains go to my Inbox.  That would be my suggestion, but only after letting Cox know you have a previously unusual issue going on.  

Truly implementing this idea, if & when it's unavoidably necessary, at scale, promised to be labor-intensive and a bad service experience.  Just sayin'

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

Webmail Filter Rules can't prevent email from going to the Spam folder.  Email flagged as spam by an online security company will bypass Webmail Filter Rules and go directly to Spam.

If you were able to use Filter Rules for all Webmail, you could write rules to "Discard", "File into" Trash or do whatever you want with unwanted email.  Everything else could be routed to any folder you want with a "File Into" action in the lowest priority Filter Rule.  If wanted email should just go to Inbox, you wouldn't need that rule because email would go there by default.  ("File into" Inbox would result in two copies of each message).  You wouldn't need to write rules for email you want to receive, just the email you don't want.  That's Option 1.  Option 2 is to write "File into" Inbox rules for email you want with a final "Discard" or "File into" Trash action.  That option isn't recommended because it risks missing email you want if you don't have a specific rule for it or you write the rule incorrectly.  It's better for unwanted email to get to Inbox than for wanted email to be discarded or go to Trash.

Option 1: Everything goes to Inbox unless it's denied.  Option 2: Nothing goes to Inbox unless it's allowed.   That's like RACF vs ACF2.  Not a lot of people will get that reference.

richard92
    New Contributor II

Not that long after my first post I noticed, or was reminded, that the Spam Filter is actually the "Cox Dynamic Spam Filter" which presumably is able to learn and I do believe my situation has already improved with some of the right processing from me.  

I also found the simpler way of adding addresses to my Contacts list with just a few clicks which don't end up making you wait much.  I had been looking for that since the last software update about a year ago, actually.  :-)

And so I am hoping having those addressed in my contacts will help keep emails from those addresses from being routed to Spam.  

I'm thinking my problem will work itself out soon.  We'll see.  Thanks for the replies and the useful information!

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III
      richard92 wrote:

And so I am hoping having those addressed in my contacts will help keep emails from those addresses from being routed to Spam.  

If email from a sender would otherwise go to Spam, adding that sender's email address to your contacts won't prevent future email from that sender from going to Spam.  You can test that by adding your own email address to your contacts and sending yourself an email with your Webmail address in the body.  It will still go to Spam even though the sender's email address (yours) is in your contacts.  

However, by May 29, 2024 you'll be using "Yahoo Mail" that will allow those emails to be marked as "Not spam" and future email received from those senders will go to your Inbox.