Forum Discussion

Jaloww
New Contributor II
5 years ago
Solved

Download speed fine. Poor/intermittent upload speed.

Hi,

Recently I've been experiencing issues with my upload speed. The download speed is fine. Sometimes when I run the cox recommended speed test, I'll have around 8Mbps upload, and 30 seconds later I'll get 2-3Mbps upload. I'm currently on Preferred 150/10. Definitely seeing more 2-3Mbps upload test results than anything close to 10, sometimes I've even gotten 0 back.

Done the whole basic troubleshooting with multiple support representatives and boy does that get old. Yes I know how to reset. Yes I know to bypass the router. No I haven't changed any set up on my end, but somehow I'm experiencing terrible upload speeds and intermittent drops.

I have an sb6183 arris modem, wrt1900ac router, upstream and downstream status look okay to me, so I'm assuming something has to be the issue from the connection to my house to the cox node, or somewhere along the way. Half the cable is new to the modem.

Was told I can't have a technician come out and take a look because I'm not renting a cox modem - really?!

Really baffled on this one, and could use some help. Most recent speed test and modem status linked.

speed test

modem status

Thanks!

• Just to give some semi-closure to this, I've still been having the upload issues with Cox. Unfortunately I really need a consistent upload, so I had CenturyLink come out and wire me up so I could test both services in parallel. So far, the CL service has performed very close to the advertised speeds and I haven't had any upload problems whatsoever. Meanwhile the Cox upload is still bouncing all around the place. Such a shame, been with Cox for a long time now but it looks like I'm going to make the switch to the service that works. Here's the latest snip of the Cox upload speed jumping all around. 

I've found testmy.net upload test to be very helpful as a sustained upload test just FYI for everyone. Choose the upload test at the top and I do a manual size that's larger to see the consistency.

https://imgur.com/jXuxdH5

50 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    oberdinger
    New Contributor II

I have been having this problem with Cox for over three years. Over 9 technicians have come out to tell me they don't know what the problem is. I recently was told that I had to swap to their modem before they would troubleshoot any farther. Once that was complete, my line was replaced from the house to the neighborhood node.

The problem is still persistent.

This is just something we have to live with by using Cox apparently.

Unacceptable...

ekhawaii
      Contributor

This Upload speed thing is sure disturbing.  Today, my Cox Upload speed went back to 11+ and was in the range of 2.5-6 for over 1mo.  I'm here in OCounty to the OC server.  Have wrote to Cox but nothing.  I believe WiderM implied that the Upload test was broken....maybe it got fixed...at least for me.

Unfortunately, for those that are truly having Upload problems, like the Gamers or Streamers, I really feel for you.  Paying for but not getting the speeds you wanted....well, frustrating.  For those of us that don't, and only use the Speedtests to check the conditions of the systems...along with tracert...ping...pingplotter, all looking for Packet Losses, well, it's sad that when we feel/see numbers that look outside the norm (and many of us are not tech types), that Cox cannot adjust.  Like I said, my Cox Upload doubled to what it was 1mo ago, and I did Nothing but check daily!   DSLReports and other testers did have numbers that differed from the Cox site....maybe it was really broken.

Geauxkoo
      New Contributor

Same. Just learned to accept that i’ll never have the upload I pay for. Many techs and linemen visits and still have poor upload. 

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        @Geauxkoo, I am not detecting any packet loss on your modem at this time, and your signal levels appear to be healthy. Does this happen while gaming, surfing the web, or streaming movies/TV shows? Are all devices in the home experiencing slow speeds, even on a hard-wired connection? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Jaloww
      New Contributor II

Wow, sorry to hear that. Getting 20-30% of the upload I'm paying for plus the occasional complete disconnect for upload is unacceptable. I just got off the phone and had to add the $10 complete care charge monthly to get a tech out (and to avoid a $75 fee). Tech comes tomorrow. If it doesn't get sorted out I'm having century link come out and hook me up. Hate to do it but if their quality is better I have to go with them. Such a shame.

Janet01
        New Contributor III

You don't have to have the Cox complete Care to have a tech come out and I haven't had a single charge of 75$. If they find something is wrong on your end then they will charge you. I would drop the complete Care and keep documenting when the connection drops or becomes unstable.

bearone2
    Contributor III

it's something with your modem/router.

no, they're not going to send someone to resolve issues with your equipment.

Jaloww
      New Contributor II

Hi bearone,

I highly doubt it's the modem or router. Just to be sure, I just ordered a brand new modem (arris sb6190), changed the incoming signal from the street to a different coax run in the house and connected to that one. Still getting the upload irregularities. Router not an issue right now because for all of these tests it's bypassed. Something else is up..

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Jaloww

Are you experiencing this a certain time of day on all sites or a particular site? Also, try running a traceroute the next time you experience an upload speed issue and post the results.

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator
      Jaloww
      New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan,

No, this issue does not appear to be at a certain time of day. I've tested very late at night (2am-3am), in the morning (9am) and during the afternoon (2pm). Same issues happen at all times of the day.

Here is a recent trace

https://ibb.co/QP2B939