Forum Discussion

jamba72
New Contributor II
2 months ago
Solved

Paying for 2 gig and getting 136mb-158mb download speeds

Im new to cox and I'm paying for 2 gig fiber service and getting 136mb to 158mb download speeds over wifi 40ft from the router.  Is this normal for cox?

• A 2.5 or 10 Gbps NIC is needed for more than 1 Gbps speed.  If OP is paying for a 2 Gbps plan and has a 1 Gbps NIC, he's paying extra for speeds that can't possibly be obtained.  But, with 158 Mbps current download, it's unlikely a faster NIC could get anywhere near 2 Gbps anyway.

• Made a cat6 cable and tested the connection Wired. Getting 900.39/947.77 so wired is definitely the way I'm going to set this up. Just a lot more work and some attic time😓

13 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Cox has nothing to do with this, it's normal for WiFi! If you are using a device, that is connected over 2.4 ghz, then the speeds you are seeing are absolutely correct If however you are on a WiFi 6 device, with all connections made properly, you should be seeing faster speeds. There are a lot of things that affect WiFi, not just distance, but EMI and RF interference, and the solidity of objects between the transmitter and the receiver. If it's all open air, it makes things easier and then you may be seeing fantastic speeds, if it's cinderblock walls and dense objects like a washer and dryer, then you may be seeing SQUAT for speed. 

So, to be able to help, and maybe get you some faster speeds, What router are you using, what device are you using, and can you test using a computer connected with a 2.5 or 10 gbps Ethernet connection? Are you on 2.4 or 5ghz?

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

A 2.5 or 10 Gbps NIC is needed for more than 1 Gbps speed.  If OP is paying for a 2 Gbps plan and has a 1 Gbps NIC, he's paying extra for speeds that can't possibly be obtained.  But, with 158 Mbps current download, it's unlikely a faster NIC could get anywhere near 2 Gbps anyway.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

We don't know what he's getting the speed on, or how it's configured. If he's on a WiFi using 2.4ghz, at 40 feet plus away, that speed is exceptional. 

• Hi, welcome to the Cox family. We want to get to the bottom this for you. Please send us an email at cox.help@cox.com with your full name, address and description of problem, so that we can get your services working the way that they should. 

• I'm paying for 500Mbps and I get less than 100Mbps. I have reached out to customer support so many times it's unbelievable. All they will do is tell you to pay for a new cox router (even if the one they gave you supports gigabit) or tell you to pay for a faster service, as if the one you already have sucks enough.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

If you've never obtained more than 100 Mbps download, you may have a 100 Mbps NIC.  If you do (conditional), you can't possibly get more than around 96 Mbps download.  You need a 1 Gbps NIC for download speeds greater than 100 Mbps.

danafletcher
        New Contributor

I have an intel 1211 gigabit nic, and I’ve gotten up to 750 with other providers. It’s only with cox that i have problems.