Forum Discussion

MikeD007
New Contributor
11 months ago

Problem with COX Contour receiver

Our system has been problem free for several years, then a couple days ago I realized I could not get a signal from the main Contour receiver and the local TV. All of the other boxes (we have 3 others) are working fine, but the main box is not sending signal to the TV that's connected via HDMI. When I unplug it for a couple minutes and plug it back in it tries to start up and the TV displays the "welcome" screen for several minutes, and then the "connecting to your experience" screen followed by a black screen. With no response to any of the remote-control commands and no way to exit out, it's just a frozen black screen. The box still sends the cable signal on to our other three boxes, but I cannot figure out why we lost the signal at the TV that plugs into the Contour receiver. Thanks in advance, any and all suggestions are welcomed. 

20 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Try swapping the box to a working outlet. If the problem follows the box, could be a bad box. Try swapping it out at a Cox store. If the problem happens with the other box on the first outlet, try replacing your splitter/amp. Also, what model boxes do you have? See here for a list or you can sign into you account and see that way. 

MikeD007
      New Contributor

Thank you for the suggestions, the Contour receiver that has the issue is a Samsung XG2v2 HD. The unit will display the Welcome screen followed by the "connecting you to your experience" screen, but then the screen goes blank. A failed video output makes sense, but doubt Cox will just swap the box without a service call. Should I try using the coax "cable out" to the TV in lieu of the HDMI cable, maybe the issue is with the HDMI driver/output? Thoughts? 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        A failed video output makes sense, but doubt Cox will just swap the box without a service call.

No, they should. It is common practice. That is why they have boxes at the Cox store.

Should I try using the coax "cable out" to the TV in lieu of the HDMI cable

Sure, that is something good to try. You wouldn't want to keep it that way because it wouldn't be in HD but it is good troubleshooting.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

It sounds like the video output of the contour box has failed, and the box itself may need to be replaced. 

MikeD007
      New Contributor

Thank you for the response, I agree this makes sense. Do you know if I can swap the box by taking it to the local Cox store or will it need to be done as a service call? 

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

You can bring it in and swap at any time without issue.

AB007
    New Contributor

We have a landline phone (bundling purpose) that has not worked for several days. Tech said our old Cox modem needed to be replaced so we did. Hooked everything up yesterday, changing Wi-Fi password everywhere. All services worked great for around 8-9 hours, except phone and it’s still out. The contour tvs froze, went to black screen, sometimes picture no sound, sound frozen picture, or frozen picture and no sound. Have rebooted numerous times, called cox and they have trouble shooted one of the contour boxes. Cox is showing good signal going through. If you figure anything out, I’d love to hear it!

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Do you get a dial tone if you connect a phone directly to the modem(Telephone port 1)?

Also, you might want to create a new thread in the Phone forum since this issue is unrelated to OP.