Forum Discussion

natesc0tt
New Contributor
10 years ago

Warning about $5 Tier Upgrade Promo

I'm not the first to write about this... I read another post of a complaint from another customer who was swindled by a Cox upgrade offer.

This is clearly written intentionally deceptive. I was offered (in big bold letters) " FREE" tier upgrade from essential to preferred service. It even explicitly stated $0.00 upfront and $0.00 /month ! This offer and order confirmation number appeared in my account but has since been removed. When I call in to confirm the status of the free upgrade, no one knows what I'm talking about, and instead want me to upgrade from paying $35/mo to $52/mo "...this is a great deal", I'm told. I never intended to upgrade in the first place, until this offer appeared on my screen. I thought, after reading the confusing fine print, that "the catch" (because there is always a catch) was that instead of "FREE" as it appeared to be, the increase would cost me $5/mo in additional fees.... $5 DOES NOT EQUAL FREE, By the way. But i figured, okay why not? $5 extra for increase from 5mbps to 25mbps was worth it. BUT NOOO, it aparently means something alltogether different. The cost of the upgrade is actually to pay an increased rate of $50/month (not actually a deal, this is what they already offer on their site to anyone) But instead of charging me $15 extra to open the bandwidth (which I'm sure is just a click of a button) they will only charge me $5 extra to increase my speed and my rate! There is a reason why we switched from COX to DirecTV/AT&T Uverse... unfortunately, I'll have to deal with these deceptive games as UVerse speeds in my area are capped at less than 3mbps (That's another whole story ... they were willing to charge me for 12mbps until i caught on that the distance from our house to their station was too far to reach those speeds)

Cox is not "your friend in the digital age" they are the lesser of two evils. They can be allied with to get the internet you want because you have no other choice... but as long as you know what kind of scheming you're getting yourself into.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    natesc0tt
    New Contributor

im not alone...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27486960-GA-New-old-topic-Cox-5-internet-upgrade-offer

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/t/3865.aspx

smtips
    New Contributor II

Thanks for sharing that, if anyone I know in this area plans to upgrade I will make sure they read the fine print and call to quote the agent what the article says before they upgrade.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    I checked those links and they all refer to a $5 upgrade campaign which I am familiar with however I have yet to heard of any free upgrade campaigns.  If you could email us with the offer at cox.help@cox.com we could review the offer and find out more about what is going on.