Forum Discussion

seper8tor
New Contributor II
6 years ago

COX won't update customer provided modems after screwing up Gigablast speeds....

I have Gigablast service that is now suddenly topping out at 300mbps DL and 5mbps UL.  Up until last week I had full 1000mbps speed DL and 40mbps UL.  My modem is a Motorola MB8600.  Its obvious that COX has changed their system in some way within the last week or so and caused this issue. 

I had a COX tech come out who determined that my modem is the issue and most likely needs a firmware update but that they wont update it since its customer provided! 

I contacted Motorola who told me that they do have a firmware update to my MB8600 which they have forwarded to COX to provide to their customers. They said that ALL updates should be provided by COX. They said they specifically created this firmware after COX system updates have created intermittent connectivity issues and degraded speeds to many Motorola users modems.

Motorola said they will contact COX to tell them they should be pushing this update to me.  We will see what happens....

Oh, and as a cherry on top, it looks like COX will be charging me $75 for the service visit since the problem was a "customer equipment issue".

33 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    seper8tor
    New Contributor II

I WISH COX SUPPORT WOULD GIVE ME AN UPDATE ON THE MB8600 MODEM ISSUES!

Steelbender
      New Contributor

I've been intermittently taking speed tests and seeing if things have changed, as I'm sure you have as well.  I also checked my router settings, and for some reason I had dynamic QoS on which may have been affecting my speed tests, because when I turned it off and then tested again this morning (unfortunately, before I had tested today, so I am unsure if it actually had an effect), I was up to between 400-500Mbps, and when I just tested now I got up to 535Mbps.  So, either it's a gradual improvement, or perhaps some other fluctuation.

OpenBSD
        Contributor II

Steelbender you should try a speed test without your router. Connect a computer using a cat cable directly to your cable modem and eliminate your router all together for testing purposes. There might be another router setting that is still affecting your speeds Report back.

OpenBSD
      Contributor II

seper8tor for testing purposes do you think you can try bypassing your router and connect directly to your modem with a cat cable to a computer. It solved Steelbender's speed issue and he was able to determine it was actually his router that was the bottleneck. I'm wondering if your router might also be the culprit. Not to say you don't actually have a Cox issue.

Karen_R
    Former Moderator
    Hello Seper8tor,

Thank you for reaching out to Cox Forum Support. I truly apologize that the services are not working properly. We can take a look into your account. Please send an email with this forum link, your full name, and address to cox.help@cox.com. We will reply back once we receive the email. Thanks

Karen
    Andrew_Wees
    Contributor III

that tech was clueless cox is the one who upgrades the firmware

OpenBSD
    Contributor II

Users don't update modem firmware. ISP's such as COX strictly "push" firmware updates to supported modems. They don't want user firmware tampered with. I suspect the technician had other appointments to tend to so he gave you a ridiculous explanation so he/she could leave.

Anyways, I have my own SB8600 I purchased and I'm on the ultimate plan. With the last week or some I've seen considerable lag spikes when playing some games. Here's the current info for my modem:

Software Version 8600-6.1.1.19 (firmware)

Hardware version: 1.0

I don't recall what software version my modem started with nor do I know if there has been any changes to the software.

What does your modem currently show?

Karen_R can you look at my account as well?

Andrew_Wees
      Contributor III

OpenBSD you don't have the update it's 8600-18.2.9

just a customer with the M860 on the latest cox approved firmware

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @ OpenBSD

Please send your account information to the same email cox.help@cox.com, so we can take a look.

Cox Moderator
      seper8tor
      New Contributor II

Actually it wasn't the tech who said this.  It was the support center office who he was on the phone with the entire time.  I asked to speak directly to the phone tech because I didn't believe it either.  The onsite tech reluctantly allowed me to speak to him and the home office tech specifically stated that customer bought modems will not be updated by COX and its up to the customer to update their firmware.  As far as I know that's not even possible and I thought it was pretty crappy considering it was COX's system updates that screwed up my Gigablast speeds! 

Hopefully Motorola will talk some sense into COX engineering and they will push the update to my modem and that will fix my recent slow speeds.  I am also currently on the older Software Version 8600-6.1.1.19 

All I know is that if this truly is COX's official policy to screw anyone not using their equipment then I think I will finally have to leave them for someone else after being with them for 20 years when they were @Home!!

BrianM
        Seper8tor, I am showing that you actually have the latest firmware that we have available, 8600-18.2.9. I apologize for any misinformation, but Cox would be the only one capable of upgrading your firmware this is typically done automatically during the overnight hours or can be done manually through a tier 2 representative over the phone as long as a specific firmware is available for use on our network. Forum moderators have access to upgrade firmware as well. I'm not sure when this would have been updated as I cannot see any information on your modem logs currently, it may have just been completed recently and you may want to test it again to see if anything has changed.

Brian
        Cox Support Forum Moderator
  • Any updates? Recently upgraded to gigablast from 300. Got a Netgear CM1000. Speeds capped right around 300 with a few above near 400 and a few low around 150. Tech came out, saw his meter check the line at 1.1 Gbps. Went and got the MB8600 thinking it was a firmware issue on the Netgear. Same issue. Right around 300. Checked connected to router and modem direct. No change. Using Surface Pro 4 with docking station that has gigabit port. I had more stable internet at 300 and a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. 

EricaW
      Former Moderator
      Hi HuskerHeaven,

I understand your visit and equipment change were very recent. If you would like we can arrange a follow up at your convenience. You may always email us using cox.help@cox.com.

-Erica
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
      OpenBSD
      Contributor II

I wonder if you pay for Cox Customer Care which is $10.00 a month that they've been pushing if your internet bandwidth will miraculously go up. Seems to fix Cox email problems.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hello, we value your feedback, as well as your continued devotion to our products and services. There is no correlation between a customer purchasing Cox Complete Care and their internet bandwidth. I have included a link with some additional information about the Cox Complete Care program.

www.cox.com/.../cox-complete-care.html

-Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Tanner
      New Contributor

I do have the same issued, Cox never fix my problem, i'm been with cox almost ten years, this year is very bad services? they're send the technicians to my home, the guy just replace slitter and he left he's say it's good to go. I told him you has to look inside my modem MB8600 see error, but he keep say it should be good now, but after he left the issue are the same? Then called motorola, they're swap my modem and are the same issue? also most my friends with cox has the same issued? 

StephanieA
        Former Moderator
        Tanner,

I apologize for the speed issues. Please log into your account on our website and run a speed test. Please let us know what speeds you get. Also, let us know if you are testing wired or wireless.

Stephanie A
        Forum Support Moderator