Forum Discussion

Sedge
New Contributor
7 years ago

Can't send e-mail using Outlook, Mail (OS10.11.6) or Mail (iOS)

Okay, please bear with me cause this post will be somewhat long.  Problem in a nutshell: I haven't been able to send e-mails since June 1st, 2017. I've chatted online with two tech reps, and today I discussed the issue on the phone with a fellow named Ron.  Here's some info from the second online chat:

Dear Cox,

I chatted with one of your tech reps yesterday regarding my inability to send e-mails.  After a lot of back & forth re: making sure that I had the correct POP e-mail account settings, she eventually found out and then told me that Cox was in the process of updating their “e-mail platform,” and that I should try again in a few hours.  Could you please update me re: the status of this; it’s a day later and I’m still unable to send e-mails.  Here’s the background info re: my issue:

I am currently not able to send outgoing mail, although I was able to send mail on May 30th.  I’m using Outlook 2011 as my e-mail client.  My OS is El Capitan 10.11.6.  I’m able to receive messages.  I believe I have the correct POP settings as specified on your website page “Cox Email Server Settings.”  When attempting to send an e-mail I get the following error:

fed1rmimpo209.cox.net cox connection refused from 68.6.118.7

It’s very strange that I was able to send e-mails up to May 30th, but not able to June 1st.  Please advise and update; any assistance and new info would be greatly appreciated!

After waiting a day with no feedback or resolution, I started another chat, opening dialog as follows:

Hello, there’s been an ongoing problem with me not being able to send e-mails using Outlook 2011 on my Mac-Mini (El Capitan, 10.11.6).  I’ve chatted with several people to date, and have confirmed that I have the correct POP settings for my Cox account.  The last person I spoke with submitted a support ticket, and said I’d have a reply within 48 hours; the support ticket was issued on June 2nd and I have yet to hear from anyone, so I’m starting to get somewhat frustrated.  I’d greatly appreciate if you could get me an update.  The problem started on June 1st.  I was able to send e-mails before that date without any problems.  Please help!

I was eventually told that the problem was with Cox's servers and that the issue would be resolved within 24 hours.  48 hours later, I'm still not able to send e-mails.  So today, I called Cox and had a long discussion with the aforementioned Ron.  We did a lot of tests, tried different port settings, etc. and he came to the conclusion that the problem was with my Outlook application (which I was doubtful of, but heck, I'm no techie).  

I decided to test Ron's theory and did a test run using my Mac's Mail Application, which to date I hadn't used.  Not surprisingly, I was unable to send e-mails using Mac Mail either!  Again, I tried various outgoing server settings, all with the same negative results.  Just to take it one step further, I attempted to set up the Mail program on my iPad, which to date I'd never used.  This also failed, giving me the following message: "The SMTP server "smtp.cox.net" is not responding; etc, etc.

While doing all these tests I also performed extra steps like taking Outlook and Mail offline after making account changes, deleting outbox messages and creating new ones for testing, etc.

Which leads me to the conclusion that there is indeed something wrong on Cox's end, as I was originally told during my second online chat.  I'm hoping someone on this forum can provide some insight, as I'm going a bit crazy not being able to send e-mails, and Cox support has been useless to date.  I may have to start using Cox's Web Mail application to send e-mails (which works) but I'd really prefer to use my desktop's Outlook application!

Any help and insights will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, David

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Sedge
    New Contributor

Hi TiffanyR, thanks for your reply.  I changed my password and carefully followed your instructions as you outlined above, including waiting a full 24 hours before attempting to send further e-mails.  Unfortunately, I am still unable to send e-mails using both Outlook 2011 for Mac, and Mac Mail.  I am still getting the error: fed1rmimpo209.cox.net cox connection refused from 68.6.118.7 using Outlook, and I get a failed connection error when I use Mac Mail.  So, for whatever technical reasons, I am still unable to connect with your outgoing SMTP server.

I really hope you can help.  Two chats with Cox's tech reps said it was a server problem and that the issue would be resolved within 24 to 48 hours, which obviously didn't happen.  In my phone conversation with a Cox tech rep, he felt it was an Outlook problem; however, my inability to send e-mails using Mac Mail disproved that theory. 

The ironic problem with using Cox tech support, whether via chat or phone, is that the emphasis is in solving the problem right away.  While this is a good thing and should be the main goal, an issue such as mine requires a wait-and-see combined with follow-up reports from Cox. There's no follow-up with using chat or phone assistance, so I came to the forums knowing this problem could take some time to evaluate and solve, and that there would hopefully be updates from the forum moderators.

I hope to be hearing from you soon.  Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Sedge
    New Contributor

Good morning Tiffany,

Yes, I've been able to send e-mails to myself using Cox's Webmail application.  I tested it again this morning, and was able to receive e-mails from my Cox Webmail account using both Outlook 2011 and Mac Mail on my Mac Mini.  The test e-mail is also being displayed in my Cox Webmail Inbox folder.  Curiously, it doesn't display in my Cox Webmail "Sent Mail" folder; perhaps this is because I sent the e-mail to myself.

I'm greatly looking forward to having this problem solved.  Thanks for your help.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @Sedge

Sent messages by default are not saved when sending via webmail. You can click the Settings button to change this or any other webmail preferences.

Sedge
    New Contributor

@TiffanyR

Haven't heard from you in 2 days now; hope you haven't forgotten me.  It's now been over two weeks not being able to use Outlook or Mac Mail to send e-mails.  Surely one of your top tier techs can figure this out and tell me why I can't connect to your SMTP server.  Please help!

Thanks, David

Sedge
    New Contributor

Hi Tiffany,

I've been busy doing research.  I converted both my POP accounts to IMAP, which didn't help.  I also set up a Gmail account as a backup, and am able to both send and receive e-mails using this client.  Unfortunately, I am still unable to send e-mails from either Mac Mail or Outlook 2011 on my Mac Mini.  Here's a copy of my smtp.cox.net activity log from today:

INITIATING CONNECTION Jun 21 11:18:15.511 host:smtp.cox.net -- port:465 -- socket:0x0 -- thread:0x7f8d13a89cc0

CONNECTED Jun 21 11:18:15.665 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1_0] -- host:smtp.cox.net -- port:465 -- socket:0x7f8d13c10c90 -- thread:0x7f8d13a89cc0

READ Jun 21 11:18:15.665 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1_0] -- host:smtp.cox.net -- port:465 -- socket:0x7f8d13c10c90 -- thread:0x7f8d13a89cc0
    554 fed1rmimpo210.cox.net cox connection refused from 68.6.118.7

WROTE Jun 21 11:18:15.678 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1_0] -- host:smtp.cox.net -- port:465 -- socket:0x7f8d13c10c90 -- thread:0x7f8d13a89cc0
    EHLO [192.168.0.2]

READ Jun 21 11:18:15.694 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1_0] -- host:smtp.cox.net -- port:465 -- socket:0x7f8d13c10c90 -- thread:0x7f8d13a89cc0
    503 not available

Perhaps this info will be helpful.  I've also attached a photo that displays my current SMTP settings for both of my mail clients.  I'm pretty sure I've set everything correctly.  Really hope you can figure this out; it's been three weeks now of not being able to send mail using either of my desktop e-mail clients.  Fortunately I can send mail using Cox's webmail, and now also using Gmail, but I much prefer to be able to use my desktop e-mail clients.

Thanks, David

P.S. Sorry for the blurred image; I think it's clear enough to make out the settings I've set.

Sedge
    New Contributor

Yes, that is correct.  I just didn't want to disclose my username in a public forum.

ChrisW
    Former Moderator

Hi Sedge,

Let's try this. With the Mac Mail program, please uncheck the "Allow Insecure Authentication". With the Outlook 2011 email program, please change the Authentication to "User Name and Password' and enter your User name and Password in the following section. Please make sure your Outbox is cleared on both email programs before trying to send. Let us know if you're able to send after making those changes.

Sedge
    New Contributor

ChrisW, thank you for your post.  However, in my post from 6/21 I stated that I had attempted to connect using every possible variation for authentication for both of my e-mail clients.  Please review my prior posts so that the repetition of attempted and failed remedies can be avoided, thus saving considerable time.  Nonetheless, I once again tried the settings you suggested, and unfortunately they both failed to connect with Cox's SMTP server.  I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect that the problem goes beyond the basic connection settings for either of my e-mail clients, unless there's something on my computer that's corrupting both clients.

ChrisW
    Former Moderator

Hi Sedge,

At this point, there are a few other things I would like to take a look at in detail for your account. Are you able to send an email to cox.help@cox.com with your name and service address?

Sedge
    New Contributor

Hi Chris,

Yes, I can send an e-mail to cox.help@cox.com using my Gmail account; I'll do so first thing tomorrow morning.  The final thing I tried was to change my password yet again (3rd change since issue started).  Didn't work.  Also, just to remind you, I haven't been able to establish a SMTP connection using the Mail client on my iPad as well.  I'll post the final result on this forum when the issue is finally resolved.  I'm coming up on a month of not being able to send e-mails using my Cox account from both my desktop and iPad :-(