Forum Discussion

capttesla
New Contributor II
2 months ago

Apple TV app on contour box not working

Apple TV app not working. Was able to use 2 days prior, than yesterday went to use the app and it said I needed to sign in again, tried that, kept receiving message “something went wrong, check your internet connection, than try again”. Keeps happening. Apple TV works on all other devices like iPad, phone, etc..but won’t work on any of the 3 contour boxes we have. 
chatted with customer service and it was like talking with a wall.  They blame Apple despite knowing it is a cox issue.

what gives? And is cox customer support this bad?

• Hi capttesla,

I am sorry to learn of your troubles accessing the App.  We value your feedback and want to provide you with the best customer service experience possible.  I truly want to help you in any way that I can.  Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email at cox.help@cox.com.  Be sure to share your name and address so that we can investigate.  

I look forward to working with you.

Cox Support Forum Moderator 

capttesla
      New Contributor II

Why do you mark something as a solution when you haven’t provided any solution??

and no I won’t be contacting you since I’ve already gone through the proper steps, I am actually looking for a solution to a cos problem. This is not an Apple problem. Please respond with a solution and not the standard bs response that will do nothing yet again. 
      Please remove your “marked as a solution check” 

LatitiaS

Hello capttesla,

We understand it is not a solution.  This is more so how we track our forums inquiries.  We would like to troubleshoot on our end so please send us your account details.  

We look forward to working with you.  

Cox Support Forum Moderator  

SteveA1
    New Contributor III

Our issue also started 2 days ago.  Apple streams on a TV connected to a repeater box.  It does not let us sign in on the TV connected to the Main Contour.  I have Deleted Locally Stored data 4 time, unplugged power from box for 30 seconds 7 times, used the Contour Box Help Option to Reset and reboot the box 3 times and the online Reset Device function once.  I am online with Chat now and they are going to refresh and reboot the equipment -- should know more in 10 minutes or so

SteveA1
      New Contributor III

Update-- after the Chat reset, still unable to sign in to Apple on the TV connected to the Main Contour Box AND now the TV connected to the Repeater Box will not Sign in to stream either -- awaiting next step from Chat

SteveA1
        New Contributor III

The Agent turned me over to Oliver so I am ending my Chat and check Apple Streaming daily for a few days before reaching back out to Cox

skRhody
    New Contributor III

Same for me in Rhode Island and I just posted my concern as well. Sorry I did not see your post. Cox support tells me I need new box to access the Apple TV APP...seems odd because I just had the newest box installed by a COX tech 1/25/24. Support never sends a message when they have new equipment:-(((

Allan

Hello. I recommend sending an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this issue to cox.help@cox.com 

skRhody
        New Contributor III

Hello,

I already contacted the cox.help@cox.com....thanks!

DDG702
      New Contributor II

A tech came out supposedly to bring us another box, but then said our box was fine and they only have refurbished boxes anyway, so we said no thanks.

ChrisJ2

Hi, there. I'm sorry about the issues with the built-in apps on your Contour box. I'd like to help. Please email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. We're glad to look into it for you. 

LarryACableGuy
    New Contributor II

For me both Apple plus and Max. 

I have done all the trouble shooting.... restarting, refreshing, unplugging, clear local app cache.  I was a Cox tech support person for 4 years so I know the steps.   

For apple plus, the first screen comes up asking to sign/in or sign/up.  I click then get error 'Something went wrong, there was a problem connecting, try again'.     

On Max it briefly show blue max screen with sound then get the error 'Content not available'. 

I have Hulu (works), and tubi also works.  So not internet.  I can connect to Max and apple plus by computer.   So it is not their problem. 

It looks to be an app login issue in Contour.  Mine seems to start on a recent change where I was asked if I wanted to share history with Netflix.  I said yes.  Since then apple plus and max stopped working.   I turned off the watch history in settings but still get errors.   I have a DVR so do not want to just swap boxes.  Please fix.  You can have tech support reach out to me.  Thank you.  

Allan

Hello. I recommend sending an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this concern to cox.help@cox.com 

SteveA1
      New Contributor III

Good morning Larryacable guy -- i have very similar symptoms (Max, Apple+, and Paramount+ not working) and have taken the same steps as you.  The other Apps == Netflix, Prime, Tubi, Freevee, Hulu, etc... all seem to work.  Do you think this could be a cabling or splitter issue with these symptoms?

ChrisJ2

Hi, Steve. I'm really sorry about the problems with the streaming apps. I'd like to help. Please email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. We really want to help get this fixed for you. 

DDG702
      New Contributor II

Same - I shared history with contour for the apple app and it created the same issue. Where do you turn off the watch history in settings? (Not that it will help!) Was also considering swapping boxes but really don’t want to.

DDG702
    New Contributor II

Same situation here stared last week. We went through this11 months ago. Tried all the solutions and nothing has helped. This started when I shared the apple watch history with contour because it kept popping up. Cox pretends they don’t even know what I’m talking about and it’s getying very frustrating. FIX IT!

MAX66
    New Contributor

Don’t clear out your storage. All it does is wipe out all your other sign ins and then you have to sign into everything else all over again. Mand it doesn’t work anyway. Dumbest solution ever. Major Cox problem, not Apple. 

SteveA1
    New Contributor III

Update to my previous replies.  I have a Main Contour Box and A Repeater Box.  All Apps worked prior to 16 Aug on both boxes with no issues.  Beginning on 17 August there were issues with Prime, Apple +, Max and Paramount +...NetFlix always works on BOTH boxes

Update for 1 Sep 24

Main Box can Play NetFlix, Prime, Max, and Apple + but not the Paramount +.  Using the Check Internet function of NetFlix the Connection is "Green Check Mark" and speed is about 20 mbps

On the Repeater Box can play Netlix, Prime, Max, and Apple + but not Paramount +.  Using the Check Internet Function of NetFlix the Connection is "Green Check Mark" and speed is about 50 mbps

On 31 Aug I SWITCHED THE BOX LOCATIONS -- and the App Functions and NetFlix speed follow with the box.  

The only other steps I took since my last post 14 days ago were to use the Cox Contour Menu "Help" functions to Reboot the Box and Refresh the System and attempt to sign in to Apps when requested.

Like others, the Main Box is a DVR and I have many programs I would not like to lose if I simply change out the Box in the hope the new box will solve the remaining issues with Paramount + and NetFlix speed tests.

All Apps work using the ROKU stick I have added to the TV on a different HDMI Input

I continue to believe this is a software update disconnect between Cox and Paramount and will be resolved during software updates --- Will continue to check and update this Forum on 1 October

DDG702
      New Contributor II

Thanks for the update. We still and only have had issues with the apple tv app through contour beginning around that time. Fortunately all other apps work. We too do not want to try a new box right now, especially since we have heard conflicting results. Went through this a year ago with the apple app and it eventually got resolved so hoping for the same.

skRhody
        New Contributor III

Thank you...same for me. Hope Cox fixes signal to my current box  so it will be compatible with the Apple TV box:-)

DDG702
    New Contributor II

Update: Have been trying once or twice a week to sign into the apple tv app and as of tonight it is working again! So no new box needed.

skRhody
      New Contributor III

Hi DDG702,

Awesome news for you! and for me---tonight 9/6/24 I am able to sign into APPLE TV APP on my cox cable box XG2V2 and no new box needed! Thanks for your help and patience to keep trying.

To all of the Cox Communication Community thanks for the positive energy to stay the course and as a group encourage and guide the Cox.help team to help us fix the issue with the Apple TV App and keep Cox customers happy! Strong work!

SteveA1
        New Contributor III

Thanks for the followup replies.  Netflix, Prime, Max, and Apple all still work for me.  Paramount+ still does not work as of about 15 minutes.  I went so far as to clear the cache and log back into each account.  Paramount is the only remaining App not working