Forum Discussion

smnnkd
New Contributor
4 years ago

WiFi Intermittent with New Cox Panoramic Gateway

About 6 weeks ago, Cox dropped their 300 Plan and was forced to get a new plan. I upgraded to Ultimate, and was advised I should replace the older Panoramic wifi device. Ever since, we experience intermittent WiFi drops. No particular time of day. Tech Support ran online test and suggested I replace the modem. The replacement I received was the same model, but obviously one that was turned it (more on that in a moment).

After several chat sessions, an agent said the Ultimate plan will only support 7 devices. I had never heard that before. We don't concurrently have more than 5 use, but we will have about 10 connected (5 or more idle (not in use but connected)), and more disconnected. Is it true that Ultimate Plan only is supported up to 7 devices?

Also, I have an HP laptop. And there is a strange coincidence that occasionally when I turn it on, the WiFi will drop.

Lastly, the Gateway Event Log provides this information that seems to correspond to WiFi drops.

[Harvester][3564]: Harvester StartAssociatedDeviceHarvesting : Started Thread to start DeviceData Harvesting 2020/9/06 08:18:03 Notice

Any help appreciated.

10 Replies

• Smnnkd,

It sounds like you've been through a lot, and for that I'm sorry. Using too many devices at once can slow your wifi traffic but what you're describing sounds like over-all it should be fine as long as the connected devices are not all downloading/uploading large files all at the same time.

I'm curious to know if your wifi dropping always corresponds to the HP laptop use.

-Colleen
    Cox Forums Moderator
      smnnkd
      New Contributor

Hi colleend Nope, the connection can drop even when the HP is completely Shutdown. The HP laptop seems like more of a false cause or rare cause. If the laptop use can be a cause of the connection drop, any idea how to mitigate that?

Can you tell me what causes or relates to the Data Harvest entries in the Event Log, as cited in my original post?

--Steve

ColleenD
        Smnnkd, the data harvest entries can be attributed to data updates for the Cox Wifi app that allows you to manage your Panoramic WiFi home network. What type of WiFi connection does your HP laptop use? -Colleen
    bearone2
    Contributor III

devices not in use but not connected can be connecting for app updates, email fetch, facebook notifications, etc..

smnnkd
      New Contributor

Thanks bearone2. I am aware of this and we are shutting down portable devices not is use, and I am monitoring on Cox WiFi mobile app. My question is, as I am on Ultimate plan which supports 9 devices, will a 10th cause slower speeds or cause a complete connection drop? The drop is across all devices and last between 5 and 15 minutes.

bearone2
        Contributor III

if all are streaming something live, it could be an issue! do all 9 need to be used when you add the 10th?

you'll just have to try it, see how much of a drop, if any.

fwiw: i don't do auto updates on phones, laptops or pc's.