Forum Discussion

abrysk
New Contributor II
9 months ago

Why daily outages for over a week?!!

In Santa Barbara we have had internet outages EVERY DAY for over a week. I get text notifications but no explanation and it sometimes gets restored then crashes again! Cox service in this area has never been great, outages at least once a month that they claim is planned maintenance and upgrade. But it has not been fixed for many months and this week is unusable and unacceptable. You cannot reach a human being to ask or complain or report either. I and my neighbors are beyond bitter frustrated!  Does anyone know what is going on or how I can even reach Cox?!

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Don't waste your time and effort with chat.  The "Need More Help?" link says "24/7 Live Support" but it's directly below the heading for "Chat with Oliver" (a virtual assistant... AKA bot).  Even if you get an actual human, I don't recall hearing positive feedback about any service they've provided.

Call Cox if you need help rebooting your modem.

Contact cox.help@cox.com for the best results.  Include your full name, the service address and a description of your issue.  They usually respond the same day.

• abrysk

I'd be more than happy to investigate this for you.  Please email me at cox.help@cox.com and include your full name and address along with a link to this forums post.

StephanieS

daveb1961
    New Contributor

We're having an outage right now in Tucson. It's been about 10.5 hours and still going. I'd be happy to look at the network map for Cox. Somewhere we must be missing redundant routes. Starlink next?

You can try "live support chat" in the  Cox mobile app but again those folks are limited to what they know. 

abrysk
      New Contributor II

Thanks...alas Cox support is just as bad as the service itself.  You can barely get to a live agent on chat and they appear to be overseas and clueless and point you to web links and offer to text you to confirm there is an outage!  Then they offer you a feedback survey and I say their service is terrible and they have not solved my problem, but there is never a response.  As I mentioned in my post, we have had frequent outages every few weeks for months, and this past week basically every day.  My problem is internet, but in our area Cox phone customers also had an 18-hour outage last week. There is no explanation or plan available, I am missing important meetings, and many of us are looking for an alternate provider. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Have either of you emailed Cox like the moderator requested? While not perfect, the moderators here are way better then the (mostly) outsourced chat.

abrysk
    New Contributor II

Yes of course, I emailed someone named Stephanie earlier today but no response yet.  I have also tried to reach humans on the phone several times.  I have a neighbor who has found that posting complaints on Cox twitter gets some response although no solution to their problem.  I think they have singularly poor customer service in addition to their technical problems, even compared to other mega-providers and utilities.  Until recently they had a monopoly in my area and this may contribute to the unresponsive attitude...

StephanieS

abrysk

Hi there, I haven't received an email.  Please send me an email and make sure that it goes to cox.help@cox.com.  It may not be myself who responds but that email will definitely come to our team.  Thanks! 

StephanieS

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes I think their email gets backed up and they don't see it. Try sending it again or better yet, use Twitter(X). I find that is the fastest.

As for their phone support, I hear some of that is outsourced now to overseas. Cox phone support always had overflow(when things got busy) to outsourced phone centers but they were in the US. Then again name me a ISP that has good support. Not to defend Cox, but I am pretty sure they are all bad. I have FIOS and I wouldn't even think of calling Verizon for help. I would probably use their forum unless it was account specific. Then again I have never had a serious problem with my service so you have a point.

daveb1961
    New Contributor

Just providing an update.  Service was restored after a 14 hour outage but the strange thing is that I keep getting SMS notification that Cox is still working on the problem. 

I replied with 'Stop' but there is something definitely missing to end the SMS updates once the service is remediated.

ColleenD

daveb1961

Thanks for your update. I wasn't able to locate an email from you, but I believe I was able to locate your account using your forum credentials. If I have the correct account, there have been a few tickets opened for service impacts over the last few days and there is still an outage declared while we are monitoring the area, which would explain the continued SMS notifications despite service being restored. You should be able to see the outage notification when you sign into the Cox app. If you need additional assistance, please send an email to cox.help@cox.com with your info and details of your concern.

ChrisJ2

Hi, there. I'm really sorry for the issues with your service. I know that's frustrating and I want to help.  Please email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. I want to help you get back up and running. 

username123
        New Contributor III

are you are a bot that keeps posting the same response to every new post?

The truth is I gave up on cox support years ago.  If there was another provider in my area I would drop them in a heartbeat and never look back.

I literately dread calling cox and the chat is a complete waste of time.