Forum Discussion

Mom23nAZ
New Contributor
10 months ago

Upgraded to GIGA plus fiber now speed is 10x worse? any suggestions

We upgraded to Gigablast plus fiber with speed listed as 1000/2000.  We are actually get 93 on a good day and 11 or even 7 ..

Was told its not the equipment, and not the install, but no solution.   Anyone else have this issue? and do you have any tips as COX keeps running us in circles and everytime we ask for help the speed gets worse.

10 Replies

DRVEGAS
    Valued Contributor

Try downgrading to the slowest package as that's what worked for me 🤣

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I think OP should isolate any technical bottlenecks before switching packages. That is why they are here right?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

We'd need a squinty-eyed read of the type of Ethernet cable connecting ONT to router (Cat-3, Cat-5, Cat-5e, etc).  Make/model of router.  Info of NIC card on testing device.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

First, what package name do you have exactly? According to here, the highest package is "Go Beyond Fast Internet" which is 2000/2000.

Next, what model router do you have? Is it slow on wired as well as wireless? 

Finally, if slow on both, have you tried connecting direct to the ONT and running a speed test? The ONT is the device installed by Cox to turn fiber into ethernet and is probably made by Nokia.

Overall it sounds like a 10/100Mbps bottleneck from a bad ethernet or bad port.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Are you asking if OP has ever measured anything over 100 Mbps?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I guess so. I assumed they haven't since they said they only get 93Mbps on a "good day". 

• 93Mbps is a very uniquely suspicious test result.  I'd check the status of the Ethernet connection to see what Phy link speed you're getting.  It sounds like you have a device connecting at 100Mbps somewhere.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

I agree, I would wager they probably have a cat 4 cable somewhere, or cat 5 cable. 

Lovemylab
    Contributor III

Are you certain you are testing with a device that goes over 100? I once completely missed that the laptop I had plugged in to the router via ethernet only had a 10/100 Network Interface Card (NIC).