Forum Discussion

Reinhard
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Outlook for Mac Email problem after Cox maintenance

I have Outlook for Mac2011 on a MacBook Pro.  This morning my Outlook stopped working. When I went into the Cox website they said they were doing maintenance.  Since then, my Outlook won't work although my iPad is fine.  I was in the Cox chatroom for over an hour and they can't fix the problem.  Anyone else have this issue?

43 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Kim_P
    New Contributor

I am also having this problem.  I've been getting "An unknown error has ocurred in Outlook" when I try to receive mail.  Error code 150.  Sending mail works, ironically.  After completely deleting and re-installing (thinking it was an Outlook problem), I still have the problem.  Outlook is not broken - I added my gmail account, and it works just fine.

Clearly Cox did something on December 5 that broke POP email retrieval using Outlook 2011 for Mac.  It's Sunday today - tech support closed.  Will call them tomorrow.

Anybody have any luck fixing this yet?  

A little more research - Outlook 2011 uses SSL v2.  Note from tech (KevinM2)  below says Cox changed to requiring SSL more recent than v3.  But he says they changed back in April.  Doesn't really explain why this problem started for all of us on Dec 5 ... if what KevinM2 says is accurate, it should have stopped working in April.

lobu
      New Contributor

The problem occurs in both Outlook 2011 for Mac and Outlook 2016 for Mac since 12/5/2019 and as far as I can see, COX does not allow receiving POP email. I don't think this has anything to do with what "changes" COX claims to have made sometime back in April 2019.

Kim_P
        New Contributor

Interesting.  Also - I can't seem to get IMAP to work using Outlook 2011 either.  Seems like that ought to work.  Perhaps it's the same SSL version-too-old problem.

blackeneth
    New Contributor III

I can't believe it's been a week and the problem isn't solved yet.

JTA
      New Contributor

I agree, it's outrageous that a company like Cox doesn't have the technical expertise to fix their own email problem.  It's evident that they did something on December 5th and sadly nobody knows what it was.  Come on Cox, do something to fix this, or at least explain intelligently what was done to stop us from receiving emails on outlook.  

chivegas
        New Contributor

Im having the same problem with outlook 2011.  Cant receive and error code 150.

Cox seems to have no clue on how to fix this.  Im ready to dump cox if they dont fix the problem.  Im not upgrading office because of a cox failure.