Forum Discussion

cuz
New Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

outlook/email

WHAT in the hell did COX do to the email servers!? I continually get a send/receive error message for receiving incoming mail from COX to OUTLOOK. the message says that the INCRIPTION I use is not supported.... Uhhhhh nothing on MY end has changed. Who messed up what with the server updates that COX did? Plainly put, fix it!

• I have spoken to the Cox complete care rep who tells me XP/Outlook users will not get incoming emails due to security upgrades.  Their system requires TLS encryption and use of IMAP server instead of SSL for incoming email.  Please, can we band together to persuade Cox to restore our access to incoming email as we have been until April 24th.  COX -- are you listening???

18 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Where was the notice from Cox that this change was in the works? I'm on email every day and never saw anything of this nature. To be blindsided like this reflects poorly on Cox management. When I called in  tech support said that these issues have been ongoing for weeks. why not give everyone a heads up? Cox explain yourself.

• I have been having constant email problems for three weeks and I use webmail, so it's definitely Cox. I have a ticket started but they never fix anything and it's still not working as of today

• I have spoken to the Cox complete care rep who tells me XP/Outlook users will not get incoming emails due to security upgrades.  Their system requires TLS encryption and use of IMAP server instead of SSL for incoming email.  Please, can we band together to persuade Cox to restore our access to incoming email as we have been until April 24th.  COX -- are you listening???

JillB
      New Contributor

I'm using Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus and Windows 10 and mine doesn't work either. All settings are correct. Password has been changed multiple times and office has been re-installed. There is a bigger issue that is obviously not being addressed.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi JillB, are you able to send and receive emails on myemail.cox.net (Cox Host Server)? If so, please ensure that your operating systems are up-to-date and that you're not using server names that include east, west or central. When you change the Cox email password, do you update the password in both the incoming and outgoing settings? If you are unable to send or receive emails on myemail.cox.net, please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com, for further assistance. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Guardianoftheem
      New Contributor

What are the TLS encryption of IMAP server ports? I have upgraded outlook and windows and have the TLS and IMAP capabilities and none of the ports work. To make this change blindly and then not have a solution is so frustrating. 

Becky
        Hi Guardianoftheemail, the operating system of each of your devices must provide underlying support to TLS for a mail client to send and receive mail. Each operating system supports different versions of TLS and SSL. Some devices and email clients combine SSL and TLS into one authentication option of SSL/TLS. If there is no explicit TLS option, choose the combined option of SSL/TLS and check the authentication box, if available. Within the Outlook "Email Settings" window, the authentication box is usually located on the Outgoing Server tab. You can find the Cox IMAP server settings at www.cox.com/.../imap-server-settings.html. The outgoing server port depends on the encryption options available in your email client. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      gm61
      New Contributor

I have outlook 2007 and same configuration on windows xp and windows 7 computers.

pop3 with SSL encryption on both

on windows 7 everything works fine

on windows xp I can still send emails (!) but since April 24 I cannot receive them because of the encryption error message

WHAT A MESS THEY DID!!!

Becky

Hi Gm61, Each device operating system supports different versions of TLS and SSL. Windows XP may not have the ability to utilize the necessary version of TLS encryption now required for email security.  -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator

KenKK
    Contributor

My Brother has the same problem with Outlook

Ken