Forum Discussion

the_escapist391
New Contributor
3 years ago

Occasional loss of internet services

Ever since I moved to my new (but old) home, I've had issues with internet loss. There are some good days were it is steady but with some high latency. In the past month, I talked to customer service and they suggested a new modem. It was a Netgear CM1000 that was barely a year old and ran perfectly in my previous home (apartment). After some back and forth and they insisted it was my modem, I entertained the idea and bought a CM1200. Got it up and running with no problems and was okay for a while, but I now started to get issues again I spoke with support once again and they (unhelpfully) just recommended I talked with the manufacturer, despite the modem stating that there were issues with the line. The modem's event log is full of Critical reports (I've attached a snippet of it) but the common ones I see are exampled below. I am about to rip out all the coax cabling of my home if that is the issue but I rather have a professional actually inspect my issue and maybe even the line to find out exactly what is the issue. This is important to me because I work from home often and this has caused issues with my education as well by disconnecting my proctor while taking my online exams and having to reschedule.

Observation: whenever I lose internet, I notice my modem's Downstream LED blinking and once it is steady, internet restores. I have noticed the Upstream LED blink a few times as well. I also have a notification system that lets me know when the line signal quality drops and it is often.

CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 0 1 2.;CM-MAC=6c:cd:d6:6a:94:7c;CMTS-MAC=94:d4:69:55:f2:41;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 2.;CM-MAC=6c:cd:d6:6a:94:7c;CMTS-MAC=94:d4:69:55:f2:41;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=6c:cd:d6:6a:94:7c;CMTS-MAC=94:d4:69:55:f2:41;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 22; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=6c:cd:d6:6a:94:7c;CMTS-MAC=94:d4:69:55:f2:41;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 20; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=6c:cd:d6:6a:94:7c;CMTS-MAC=94:d4:69:55:f2:41;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Dynamic Range Window violation

RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=6c:cd:d6:6a:94:7c;CMTS-MAC=94:d4:69:55:f2:41;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

5 Replies

• I apologize everyone, I haven't checked here in a while. I ended up getting a tech to come out and he checked my lines, replaced the ends of my cable connections internally, but didn't touch anything from the box or the line past it. He did multiple tests on his equipment to show I am connected and my signal strength is strong as well as my speeds, which is good, but since I wasn't having an issue right at that moment, I guess he took it as issue resolved. I tried to talk about what I see in the modem and show him the logs when I have my reported outages via my signal monitor, but didn't seem interested. I continue to have issues to this day, (it actually went down again as I was typing this) and they seem to happen mostly during the day, and it is steady and strong after midnight.

anon1133
    New Contributor

I am having the exact same issue, started little over a week ago and with a similar modem Netgear (CM400). Did you find a solution? It is driving me crazy!

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @Anon1133

We appreciate you being a Cox customer and would be happy to look into any issues you are experiencing with the internet. Are you experiencing this on a hardwired, wireless connection, or both?

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator

• I keep having a similar issue and had a new modem got frustrated with this outage issue and got a tech out here replaced my modem with the exact same ("state of the art") model, anyway he mentioned that cox does a ridiculous amount of firmware updated on a non-disclosed schedule that's not given to the consumers...  that right there pisses me off, I'm paying *** near $150 to play competitive gaming and I get banned all the time due to loss of internet I simple firmware schedule posted on the cox home page would literally let me game around these updates and I would be good but cox literally just wants to play monopoly in the area and not let me have a choice between a service provider . Worst isp ever! 0/10.