Forum Discussion

Rexy624
New Contributor II
4 years ago
Solved

Erratic internet service

Erratic internet service

• This issue was finally resolved, at least for now. It took two trucks with two techs, one a line tech and the other an outside plant tech. The RG11 cable to the house (larger than standard RG6 due to 200') was fine and so was the modem. The problem was "noise on the node" down the street which was removed by the outside plant tech somehow. The line tech said they did have problems with noise on the system in general so I'm sure that compounded the issue. Though my Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 modem was fine they replaced it with an ARRIS CM8200A DOCSIS 3.1. The reason for this is that the Cisco is an 8x4 (8 download x 4 upload channels) and the ARRIS is 32x8. The line tech said this modem would have more "redundancy" and so far that seems true. If you have a few channels with problems then having 32x8 instead of 8x4 to use is a huge advantage.

What I think is happening is that as the load has increased due to streaming, plus now remote work and remote learning, the Cox system is struggling to keep up. Nodes were typically between 500-2000 users depending on load. As that load has increased they are now splitting nodes to reduce the number of users on each node. This is not a simple thing and per communication a friend received from Cox, it might take six months to "redesign the system. The following link is a good depiction:

Hybrid fiber-coaxial - Wikipedia

I imagine Cox and other ISP's are hesitant to invest in infrastructure because 5G and Starlink will soon take over so you can see the dilemma. Verizon stopped installing and deploying any more FIOS some time ago so the handwriting is on the wall. I'm not ruling out Starlink once it comes out of beta and is available. I hope this follow-up helps people having problems so you have the correct terminology to get problems corrected. Don't waste your time with phone or chat support and mindless reading off a script. I emailed Cox.help@cox.com and that is what finally got the help I needed plus this post.

Good luck!    

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Rexy624
    New Contributor II

Are you Cox tech support or just another user? I just put a modem information image into that link so check that. The levels never change and they were fine last night when it went away completely. The problem is probably our closest node or one upstream of us but how am I supposed to get Cox to fix their hardware? And I have a commercial Peplink router direct to the modem which is where the data comes from so hardwired. The modem is direct to the cable coming in the house, with no splitters or other connections.

Rexy624
    New Contributor II

More wasted time and nothing accomplished with the service call by Cox today. The tech replaced the lightning arrestor coupler on the outside of the house because it had a rusted nut and said that is frequently the problem?? The signal strength was fine at the house The performance seemed OK for exactly how long it took him to get in his truck and start to drive away before we were down to slow speed and crazy latency. He took the printouts of all my graphs and said he would get them to the supervisor so we'll see but I'm not holding my breath...  

FedUpWithCoxIsA
      New Contributor II

It makes me sick to read your plight, because it's mine, and it's like so many others. The same story, amounting to "How to get Cox to fix their service, and meet their agreement as a utility provider?" Government. That's it, and they're very lightly regulated, as a lobbying monopoly, but that doesn't hold up forever. Especially now, when $ is scarce, and more people every day have the very same story as you and I.

So maybe, unplug and restart your modem, perhaps? 

Rexy624
        New Contributor II

All of my cable equipment is on a surge strip which then plugs into a 1kw Tripplite UPS so all I need to do is cycle the switch on the surge strip. Sometimes that helps initially but it is always back to the same situation. Having spent my whole career in high-end electronics with complex communications systems, I can't tell you how frustrating this is for me! It is all about getting to the right person but you need to get past the Cox human firewall first. My suggestion is to use Cox.help@cox.com which wastes far less time, gives you a record of what was said, and seems more responsive since it is their social media help connection. Still, as with most corporations these days no one takes ownership of anything. There is a groundswell of governmental pushback headed Cox's way in our statehouse and I have been in touch with a local Rep who has other Rep's joining forces to attack this issue.

Rexy624
    New Contributor II

This issue was finally resolved, at least for now. It took two trucks with two techs, one a line tech and the other an outside plant tech. The RG11 cable to the house (larger than standard RG6 due to 200') was fine and so was the modem. The problem was "noise on the node" down the street which was removed by the outside plant tech somehow. The line tech said they did have problems with noise on the system in general so I'm sure that compounded the issue. Though my Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 modem was fine they replaced it with an ARRIS CM8200A DOCSIS 3.1. The reason for this is that the Cisco is an 8x4 (8 download x 4 upload channels) and the ARRIS is 32x8. The line tech said this modem would have more "redundancy" and so far that seems true. If you have a few channels with problems then having 32x8 instead of 8x4 to use is a huge advantage.

What I think is happening is that as the load has increased due to streaming, plus now remote work and remote learning, the Cox system is struggling to keep up. Nodes were typically between 500-2000 users depending on load. As that load has increased they are now splitting nodes to reduce the number of users on each node. This is not a simple thing and per communication a friend received from Cox, it might take six months to "redesign the system. The following link is a good depiction:

Hybrid fiber-coaxial - Wikipedia

I imagine Cox and other ISP's are hesitant to invest in infrastructure because 5G and Starlink will soon take over so you can see the dilemma. Verizon stopped installing and deploying any more FIOS some time ago so the handwriting is on the wall. I'm not ruling out Starlink once it comes out of beta and is available. I hope this follow-up helps people having problems so you have the correct terminology to get problems corrected. Don't waste your time with phone or chat support and mindless reading off a script. I emailed Cox.help@cox.com and that is what finally got the help I needed plus this post.

Good luck!    

zoup
    New Contributor

I have the same issue with my service. Its been going on for weeks, Service is good then drops off. Cox says that they are reworking the network to increase capacity. That's fine and good, but I'm still paying for service. Asked them for a discount and they did give me something. But service still goes dark off and on. They originally said I b=needed a new modem, asked what and they just replied that they see something strange? I asked them specifically what do you see, cox:reply- just something strange-

Purchased new modem, and guess what- same thing...they dispatch tech they check stuff, change connections, rusted etc. But I still have the same issue. So they are dispatching another tech..what hes going to do who knows. The service is back and normal now, but it will degrade and the my service will go from ~295M  to about 30-50? Obviously the problem is upstream, but trying to get those people to look at anything is most likely going to take a act of god. 

Allan
      @Zoup, I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of the issue so we can take a closer look. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.