Forum Discussion

jihane
New Contributor II
2 months ago

Cox/Yahoo email conversion

My experience in the conversion has been a frustrating one. I followed all instructions but it did not work for me, apparently because i was using a Mac. Yahoo support was helpful and we figured it out. However, I get all my emails in Outlook and despite following all instructions on setting that up, i'm not getting the same emails over and over, after deleting them. Just this morning I deleted several emails and every time i refresh my outlook, they show up again. Any idea what is happening and how to solve it? thank you

16 Replies

Toddavery
    New Contributor II

My guess is that you are using Outlook with Yahoo through a POP mail retrieval and the settings for the server are to "download and keep." This can result in the same messages being interpreted by your mail reader (Outlook) as new messages.  The same sort of thing can happen with an IMAP server if the settings are wrong.  Neither the server nor your email reader are supposed to allow that to happen, but it happens pretty often. 

Anyway, that is just conjecture based on what little you have shared about it. Good luck sorting that out.

jihane
      New Contributor II

Thank you Toddavery you are correct. What setting should it be then? I'm not even sure where to change that. i'm to the point where i just might forget about using outlook and just check yahoo every now and then, i'm also moving towards discontinuing the use of my cox email since it's been so frustrating. 

Toddavery
        New Contributor II

That is a very good question. I have not tried (not much, anyway) to get the potmail or IMAP working properly but my few attempts did not even acquire mail at all.  My previous experience with POPmail and IMAP  is what led me to suspect that was your problem.  There are two different things you can do. One of them is to select DOWNLOAD AND DELETE and then the only mail you have is the mail that is on your local machine in the Outlook files (.ost or .PST).

In that case, you will only get each email downloaded to you once and then the server will dump it.  Another option is to delete all your local mail every time you pull mail from the server.  That might sound absurd, but it actually makes sense if you are downloading mail to several different sites and only saving it at one site.  From the site where you were saving mail, you copy The mail you want to keep off to the files where you store it. Delete everything else as you download it. 

When I use an arrangement like that, I had all of the remote email readers DOWNLOAD AND SAVE.  The site where I was saving email was set to DOWNLOAD AND DELETE.  That way, when I had saved the email, it no longer appeared in the other male readers. 

That entire discussion assumes you were using pop mail.  IMAP handles that a little differently and I have never tried using that approach with IMAP.  With IMAP, each male reader sees what is on the server. If you delete email in your inbox, it is deleted on the server as well.  Obviously, you would want to save any important email before you deleted it from your inbox.  (Moving mail from your inbox to the long-term folder makes sense because then it is automatically deleted from the inbox when you save it.)

I hope that my voice typing is sufficiently legible because I have not proofread my voice typing for this response to closely (because I am driving and should not be texting at all!).

Toddavery
    New Contributor II

I am sorry to hear that you had difficulty with the transition to Yahoo. It seems to me a foregone conclusion that anyone in that move had a nightmare experience. I consider it a tragedy that Cox decided to divest its mail service. Further, it was extreme disloyalty that Yahoo was chosen as the email provider and customers had no choice in the matter.

I had so much difficulty in a transition that I got a separate email and have transitioned all important traffic to that email. Unfortunately, that did not correct the damage done by not having access to important emails I received since then.  It was not until yesterday that I was able to complete the transition and retrieve the misrouted emails.

Yahoo now feels entitled to charge customers $5 a month for service that was provided as a part of Cox internet service until April 5th.  What's more, all my attempts to set up IMAP or pop mail to an ordinary mail reader have failed.

lauraverde
      New Contributor

That's awful! I'm not on here for that problem, but my sister's husband is in IT for YEARS, and he had a hard time with the change over. I guess GMAIL is out for Cox to use, as Cox doesn't want you to know, they have awesome services available. I'm using that. 🙂 Good luck. And sorry anyone has to deal with Cox. 

• Hi Jihane,

Did Yahoo support mention anything about "conversations" being enabled or disabled? If enabled, are you able to try disabling to see if that stops the emails coming back in?

jihane
      New Contributor II

no they did not and I just looked, i don't have conversations enabled. it's becoming very frustrating as i delete them and then they keeping popping back up again

DorisM

Thank you for that update. Please email my team cox.help@cox.com so we can obtain account details and review further.

Thank you.

Anesti33
        Contributor

Why is Cox Support still interposing themselves after transition to Yahoo!

I was under the impression that Yahoo! Support would take responsibility for our mail after the point of transfer.

Will we now need to deal with both? What faculties does Cox have for checking technical aspects of Yahoo! IMAP and webmail services?

• Getting the app password from the security section in Yahoo allowed me to setup my inbound in Outlook. My updated password for login to the Web Access worked for the smtp(outbound) part
    I needed to generate a app password for all my devices (iPhone, iPad, other PC's etc)

Toddavery
      New Contributor II

Sounds good, but I am confused.  What is "the security section in Yahoo" in tangible terms.  Is that a website menu item, a telephone call, a maintenance team; in short, how does one contact "the security section in Yahoo" to get the app password allowing POP mail in Outlook.  You say did not need this to set up SMTP...how did you authenticate the email sending (and what do you mean by "My updated password" if it was not what you got from Yahoo security section)?  

Thanks!

ChrisTurner
        New Contributor

"What is "the security section in Yahoo" in tangible terms."
        In Yahoo web access go to the user icon top right, hover the mouse over the icon and from the menu pop up click on "add or manage account" the click on account info. In Personal Info section click on security near the top. In the security area the section is Account Access
        Right section is "other ways to sign in" click the generate and manage app passwords.

"how did you authenticate the email sending (and what do you mean by "My updated password"

This was the password we had to update on our 1st login to Yahoo with our Cox.net addy. 

Hope this helps! ðŸ˜Š

• I would never use POP3 in 21st century networks or devices. POP3 is designed for a single device having intermittent access. It's modeled on UUCP, which, well, some people still swear by it!

POP3 will always cause more problems than it is worth. Why even use it when IMAP is available? There's no technical or practical reason to rely on such an inferior protocol.

And if your app or device forces you to generate an app password, take the hint and replace it with something secure and modern that correctly supports authentication.

lkrebs
      New Contributor

What does that mean if you have to create an app password to replace it with something secure and modern.....

Many of us are not technologically savvy and are just doing what we find works to get to our email on our Mac computers. This was the only thing that worked for me, to download another mail account and follow the directions from there, including creating an app password. I am about ready to just get a different email address, which would be such a pain!

Allan

Hello. You can find information about app passwords here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN15241.html