Forum Discussion

ryanncv
New Contributor
4 years ago

Major Packet Loss through Level 3 Backbone

I am experiencing major packet loss for any traffic that is routed through "Phoenix1.Level3.net" as shown in the below screenshot. There are a handful of sites that basically won't load or are simply unusable due to the packet loss/slow speeds. This is definitely not an issue specific to my modem or router, as it happens on both the residential connection at my house AND an entirely separate Cox Business connection at my office 3 miles away. I have tried several different computers, bypassed all routers and switches, and rebooted modems. 100% an issue with Cox and/or Level 3.

I manage a web site that is hosted on WebHostingHub.com and I can't even access that site without switching over to a VPN or using my cellular connection. Extremely frustrating. I opened a support ticket with Cox over the phone yesterday but still haven't seen any improvement. Again, as soon as I activate a VPN (which routes the traffic through a different backbone), the issue goes away and the websites load as expected.

Are there any known issues with Level 3/CenturyLink at the moment? Or any other issues with the Cox network in Phoenix that would be causing this?

J05iah
    New Contributor II

ryanmcv, I saw your reply to my post about this same issue, thank you for your reply. I have been testing this issue across multiple platforms and locations all replicating the same problem. This is the worst connection issue I have ever experienced. Due to this issue I am 100% unable to work and do my job. 

It would be nice to have an answer from Cox to your question: "Are there any known issues with Level 3/CenturyLink at the moment? Or any other issues with the Cox network in Phoenix that would be causing this?"

ryanncv
      New Contributor

I still have not received a response from Cox about this issue, even after submitting a formal ticket last week. It seemed better this weekend but is back to being almost unusable today.

Again, I ask the question to Cox: Are there any known issues with Level 3/CenturyLink backbones out of Phoenix?

BenS1
        Former Moderator
        Hi Ryanmcv,

We may need to take a look at the network in your area. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your full name and address for further assistance.

Ben S.
        Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Sept90
    New Contributor

Had the same thing start about a week ago as well and now I have to reset my modem at least 10x a day. Its constantly dropping during work calls and its really difficult to get through one without some kind of issue. Of course when I reached out to them they say it's a modem issue bc "..your connection appears strong." And yet every one of my phoenix coworkers and family in goodyear are having issues. They love making you spend money before actually doinganything, you know cause paying $100+ a month is not enough,  I was actually considering getting a higher tier package for increased speeds but what's the point if I cant stay connected for more than 10minutes and it gets worse agter 5-6pm. After those hours it wont hold a connection for than 5 minutes. My guess is their nodes are overloaded or their wiring/boxes in my building out outdated but they just dont care since theres no other decent options in Phoenix. It's such bs if it's the increased usage due to work and school from home which it appears to be, they've had months to prepare for the increased usage for when school started up again instead they did nothing.

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi Sept90,

Sounds like we need to investigate this issue. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your full name and address.

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
        J05iah
        New Contributor II

Ben, I did email support about this with detailed information. I also provided further evidence that the issue is on Cox side. I have not heard back from support, no one has contacted me about resolving the issue.