Forum Discussion

Ric_M
New Contributor III
7 months ago

E-mail Transition to Yahoo! is a Mess!

Received two e-mails about Cox's transition of my e-mail account to Yahoo.  Last one received March 6th that included transition FAQs (very few).  As I use Outlook to access my e-mail, I noted the statement that said if I use a third-party app to access my e-mail I'd receive a follow-on e-mail with instructions to reconfigure Outlook.  Well today Outlook is being rejected by Cox servers, or lack of, and I don't have any instructions on configuring Outlook to access Yahoo! using POP.  I've been in a chat with Cox for the last 45 minutes and the person on the other end is more confused than I am.

This is a VERY POOR roll-out. 

fshs
    New Contributor

YAHOO wants my driver's license number to help with my account transition. I asked the person helping me for their driver's license number /phone number and email address and real name before I give him mine... Crickets.. Big problem trying to use outlook 2016 with Yahoo. Not all of my subfolders made it.. CURSE cox for ruining my life! This really sucks. I'm looking for options!!

patti_rose
      New Contributor III

After 30+ years of being a loyal customer with Cox, you'd think they would have given us a choice of which provider to switch to.  Yahoo would never have been my choice, and never will be.  I recently just set up my Gmail accounts with Outlook (2010), and it was so easy (and I am in no way a "techy" person). I set IMAP instead of POP, that way I can access my emails from all of my devices.  Thank you Cox!

dp118
        New Contributor III

I'm in same boat and agree we'd never choose Yahoo for email accounts.  Twenty-five year Cox email customer here with large email archives and files.  My family established Gmail accounts once we learned Cox was ceasing email support and handing it to Yahoo.  We're glad we did.

I did manage, after two days of trying and reading posts here, to get our Cox accounts over to Yahoo and get it working on our Windows Outlook software and Apple iPhones.  Was a real challenge but eventually it worked.  Because Cox technical support was not useful and Yahoo support was minimal, we're shifting totally to Gmail.

jcewe
      New Contributor II

Hopefully Cox will lose a lot of subscribers. They treat customers like dirt, their marketing is simply a boat load of lies.

RaquelD

I apologize that you have had a poor experience with how you've been treated. Please reach out to us on Twitter/X at CoxHelp, on Facebook or send us an email to cox.help@cox.com with your name, address, concerns and a link to this forum thread so we can assist with these concerns. Thank you.

SoapLover
      New Contributor II

Yes, this whole transition sucks. Customer service is non existent when it comes to help with Outlook.  I've tried every POP and IMAP setting and can't get Cox / Yahoo / Outlook to talk to each other.

fshs
        New Contributor

I had the same problem with outlook not working with Yahoo.. I gave up. I'm transitioning all my emails to another account away from Yahoo. I'm going to leave my 2 cox addresses open on their server and check back to see if any stray emails get sent there. I'm looking for options!! This is no way to treat a customer.. Especial one that has been with cox for decades. I have never heard of having to give up your drivers license number to prove who you are to get help like with Yahoo! Is this a harbinger of things to come?

TomSteele2
    New Contributor

Horrible. I was able to access my email via Yahoo sign in. Yahoo didn't even recognize my wife's email address so she is now without her primary email address😡We use Outlook as our 3rd part email app (and contacts and calendars) with both of us being familiar with Outlook after years in the corporate world. We are unable to link to Outlook even after removing and adding back as a new account! Android mail no longer working either. The coup de gras? Yahoo chat is an automated attendant and their customer service offering if you would like to speak with a person, is fee based! yjcmtsu If we weren't in a location where we have no alternative than Cox for internet, television & telephone we would have been long gone. Oh, and did they reduce the cost to shift the email burden onto the customer? NFW 

TomSteele2
      New Contributor

Update. I was able on the day(s) of rollout (1st day, my email address, 3rd day my wife's) able to establish access via Yahoo website & Yahoo app (following the instructions Cox provided) and Android. Delete the accounts, add back with the new Yahoo info (cox email address and NEW Yahoo password). Still unable to get Outlook to recognize the email addresses until this morning.

I called FREE Yahoo help, 866-562-7250 and walked through the Outlook set-up process, total time spent including waiting on hold for CSR, 36m.

In brief you need to login to Yahoo account security, login.yahoo.com/account/security, and click on the generate password link, type in 3rd party email app, Outlook, and click on copy in the auto generated password text box.

Then go to Outlook and perform the email account repair process, or create new email process if you have already deleted) using the Yahoo security generated password.

Use the correct incoming server path (imap.mail.yahoo.com), use 993 as incoming server port, check SSL option; and the correct outgoing server path (smtp.mail.yahoo.com), use 465 as outgoing server port, check SSL option and if prompted Request Authentication = Yes and select the radio button use same info option.

I hope this saves someone the time I lost trying to set up Outlook after Cox email migrated to Yahoo.

Frank02
        New Contributor

My switchover notice just came yesterday and I had to do a lot of searching to get to this point. This did work for me with Microsoft Outlook, though I think there's a typo and that the incoming server port should be 995 instead of 993.

But now I am struggling to get the transition to work inside my iPhone mail client. Anyone have any tips about that?