Forum Discussion

smtips
New Contributor II
7 years ago

Cox keeps sending me another customer's info.

Cox keeps sending me someone else's payment acknowledgements. Has been for years off and on. Same person's mail every time, complete with their account number, email address and last 4 of payment method. If I was malicious, I'd be halfway to stealing their cox identity and jacking with their account.

I have complained every time. I have talked to supervisors 3 times in the last 6 months. They continue to do it. Seems in their effort to stop this, they have stopped sending me my own bill reminders.

They confirmed my email is not on the other account as a secondary email and they were basically stumped.
It is a security issue. They refuse to get someone with brains to fix it.

I told them the last two times I talked to supervisors if they didn't have it fixed I'd be posting publicly about their lack of security practice and their lack of taking this issue seriously. This is me doing that, because yesterday I just got the person's info yet again.

Next stop, EFF and other security watchdogs. As with everything Cox, anything that I contact them about becomes a nightmare of non-action on their part.

How do you know that Cox isn't sending YOUR information to total strangers?? Based on this, you don't.

5 Replies

• Hi smtips,

I'd be glad to look into this for you, as this can truly be bothersome. Please send me an email to cox.help@cox.com, and include a copy of the message showing the email address in question. Be sure to include the link to this thread. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
  • Hi Smtips,

I believe we have corrected this issue. Please keep an eye on your email over the next 30 days and let us know if you receive billing and payment reminders for your Cox account.

smtips
    New Contributor II

The issue is not resolved, just got another one of those for a different customer (the same one I have been getting). I called like 2 weeks ago and talked to a supervisor who told me that the account notes showed that the issue was corrected after my forum post here.

It is not.

I've given you guys three chances to correct this AFTER I said I was gonna scream in public about your security issues. To no avail.

Now, I will be forwarding all my info to the local TV station teams that deal with customer advocacy, and as I said before, the EFF and other security and privacy watchdogs on the web.

Oh and guess what? I haven't been getting my own bill reminders in email since NOVEMBER and was told that was corrected too. It's not. 4 days after my billing cycle ended and still no reminder. So, based on all available info, YOU ARE APPARENTLY SENDING MY INFO TO A DIFFERENT CUSTOMER AS WELL.

I'm done.

Becky

Hi Smtips, did you receive a payment acknowledgement email at the end of April for a Cox account other than your own? - Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Hi Smtips,

Thanks for letting us know. I corrected an issue with the notification preferences of the other account at the beginning of March, so I can't explain why you still received her email. I will get this escalated to our identity management team immediately.