Forum Discussion

mrokusek
New Contributor
11 months ago

Arris SB8200 Dropping Out on Large Upload - Firmware Issue or How to Diagnose?

I have an issue where when doing larger upload (presenting my screen and cam video) that within 10-20 minutes I'll lose my entire internet connection.  It only seems to happen on those type of upload situations and haven't had the issue happen when doing large downloads.

I updated my router firmware but also wanted to figure out how to diagnose if it's perhaps an issue with my modem or Cox service provider.  I have accessed the ARRIS modem page and see Hardware version of 6 and Software version of AB01.02.053.05_051921_193.0A.NSH.  But I have no idea if that's good or bad.  That date may be May of 2021?  Reading online it seems that I should not be updating firmware, rather Cox should.  But Cox online tech support was bad, I mean really bad, they had no idea what I was asking about what version they are pushing to my modem (she was trying to sell me a different modem).

I'd like to understand what I can look for in event log in modem to determine if this is a modem issue or what.

And if anyone knows the right questions to ask or number to call for lower level tech support from Cox who can answer these types of questions.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    And if anyone knows the right questions to ask or number to call for lower level tech support from Cox who can answer these types of questions.

There is no way to squeeze water from a stone. Cox Tier 1 read and work with a script now and are not technically trained or minded. You could ask for Tier 2 or Customer Advocacy Group(CAG) who might be able to see your firmware but updating is tricky. Not only must there be a updated and tested firmware available but there may also be procedural limitations of what Cox is allowed to do. Pick the wrong file and they could brick your modem.

I would start by bypassing your router and connecting direct to the modem and seeing if the issue occurs.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I just got some feedback from someone who tried to ask for Tier 2. Seems they are pushing Cox Complete Care(CCC) pretty hard for Tier 2/CAG escalations of non Cox hardware.

mrokusek
      New Contributor

I see my modem has 2 ethernet ports - does Cox allow me to connect both of them and get different MAC addresses?  Thinking I could connect my 1 computer directly to modem and rest of system through router to the other port.  Then I can see if issue happens on that one computer anymore to resolve if it's modem or Cox issue vs router issue.  I did update my router firmware though.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        I see my modem has 2 ethernet ports - does Cox allow me to connect both of them and get different MAC addresses?

No. The two ethernet connections are for setting up LAG for faster then 1Gbps speed. See here for more info. In order to use each connection to a separate device you would need Cox Business for more then 1 public IP address. Good idea though.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Pushing out firmware is done by Docsis engineering at Cox. It used to be able to be done by Data Tier 2, who all became CAG, but it's not something that most can do any longer. Whatever firmware you are running is going to be the latest version, accepted by Docsis engineering. 

Cox Complete Care isn't going to be of ANY assistance with this issue though.