Forum Discussion

Blazeice
New Contributor II
17 days ago

2Gbps slow speeds

Hello,

I recently upgraded my modem to the pw8. A couple days after they shipped it, a cox rep called and convinced me to upgrade from 1Gbps to 2Gbps speeds. Problem is, I plugged straight in with ethernet on my new pc with cat6 and I'm only getting 930 to 960 Mbps. My network adapter does 2.5 Gb. Idk what the problem is here. The cox wifi app says the modem is RECEIVING 2300 Mbps. It's juts not making it out the other side of it? Anyone have any ideas here? I've tried different pc and laptop, different cat6, resetting, and have had a cox tech come out to no avail.

• I have the exact same issue. Plus they are charging me for data overages when the panoramic router eats 8GB per day with its own security updates which comes out to 240GB per month the amount most users are getting billed for. 

Blazeice
      New Contributor II

We found tge solution. Read through the comments. Tldr, only port 4 is 2Gbps

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Verify your network adapter is actually set to reach those speeds. I have an alienware R16, and my 2.5 gbps adapter was set in network settings to 1gbps (1000baseTX), and I had to change the network settings. 

Also, ensure you are in port 4, which is the high speed port on the PW8. 

wilsons521
      New Contributor

Yes, I discovered this with some troubleshooting.  Throughout my entire troubleshooting process, I never even thought about the port I was plugged into was not a 2.5 Gb port. 

Like I've stated earlier I cannot use port 4 due to it being the uplink port to the RJ45 port in the wall.  

Darkatt
        Honored Contributor

If you have fiber, it would be beneficial to get your OWN router, instead of using the PW8. I use a RAXE300 Netgear router that has a 2.5gbps port and has 2 1gb ports that can aggregate to 2gb. 

wilsons521
    New Contributor

I am having this same issue.  I've confirmed that my adapter is stating that the link is indeed 2.5 gb.  I confirmed this by replacing the swtich down stream with a 1gb switch.  Windows then reported 1 gb.  This is getting really frustrating since Cox seems to have issues getting their 2 Gb speed rolled out.  Their techs don't have the equipment to test 2.0 gb connections.  I guess it might be time to report them to the BBB yet again for failure to provide services as advertised.    

Blazeice
      New Contributor II

Alright so listen to this. Today I got it to work! TLDR; I think I just needed to unplug it for awhile maybe? Or possibly only the RED 4 ethernet port gives 2Gbps? But heres what I did. I had my modem located upstairs. I wanted better internet downstairs across the house. So I ran a cat6 ethernet alllll the way across the house in the basement ceiling. Then, I came off the coax splitter that they put in the basement and ran a nicer coax off it about 25' to where I was relocating the modem. Once all that was done, I unplugged everything from the modem and moved it downstairs. Plugged the modem into power. Plugged the coax into it, plugged the cat6 into the 4 slot, bc I saw it was red. Then speed tested and BOOM 2,354 Mbps (2.354 Gbps) speed. So I can't conclusively say exactly which part did it, but I have a feeling it was either the unplugging power, or plugging into the red 4 slot. Please try plugging into the 4 slot first and let me know if that solves the issue! I'm unwilling to do so because I don't want to risk it reverting back to crap lmao.

wilsons521
        New Contributor

My red port is being used by the uplink from the Fiber connection outside the house.  I do not have the coax plugged into it.  I bet you are right, only that port is for 2 Gb, but it would be really nice for Cox to tell us these things.  I'm going to attempt to spit off that connection and see if I can utilize the red port.  Thank you for the ideas!