Forum Discussion

coxuserhere
New Contributor II
2 years ago

ACP Benefit Dead End With Cox and ID.Me Please help

In 2022 myself and another family member were approved of the acp $30 a month by the acp's own website. We both are on EBT so getting approval was easy. We called Cox to apply for my household member’s discount code but were told we had to use the cox.com/acp site. We went on cox.com/ac but after finishing the process the site said "Your application has been denied". It was shocking since acp had already given her their approval. I called cox on her behalf and spoke to 9 or 10 agents all of whom were no help. They all said they could do nothing and could not escalate the matter. I was told that the Cox acp approval dept. is one that they had no way to contact. I was told by cox reps to contact ID.me, the acp government office and a local cox store all of which I did. No of them could help. I felt like the cox reps just wanted me off the phone so they told me to contact people they knew could not help. None of them told me about this forum. I found it on my own. I got so frustrated I gave up and my family member used their acp discount with MetroPCS with ease. My own acp benefit has been going to waste for months. That is $30 a month I have been losing. Just thinking about Cox put us through for no reason makes me very upset all over again. My mother has Spectrum where she lives. All she had to do was call Spectrum once and give them her acp approval code. I have no idea why cox makes it so difficult for their customers. 

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Go to the FCC website at www.fcc.gov and file a complaint or call 888-225-5322.  It takes less than 24 hours for that fire to light up @sses all over the place. There's also a link on your bill specific to ACP failures related to Cox under the Customer Information section. It wouldn't allow me to copy and paste.

800-234-3993 is the Cox phone # referenced in that section for issues. I believe its different than the regular old Customer?Don't Care! Number.

Good luck.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

FYI, it's not the responsibility of COX, to ensure the Federal program links to a customer account and sends payment to Cox. Even once everything is setup, until COX receives payment from the government, then the full amount is still due to Cox. Once they receive payment from the government program on your behalf, THEN they discount your bill the amount received from the government. the ACP is a government program - 

https://www.fcc.gov/acp

From the FCC website - 

Need Help With the ACP?

If you need to talk to someone about your eligibility or application status, call the ACP Support Center at (877) 384-2575.

To file an informal consumer complaint against your provider involving the ACP, click here.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I have FIOS for internet and recently applied for ACP. The USAC website process was easy and got approved within minuets. However it was the weekend so had to wait until Monday to call Verizon to get the discount applied. The online process through Verizon didn't work. However all I had to do was give the billing rep. my application ID and they were able to process it manually. That probably took about 10 minuets.

Sounds to me like you aren't find the right person to help you. I would suggest calling billing and ask for a supervisor. Be polite but insistent. Good luck.

coxuserhere
      New Contributor II

Thank you but you did not carefully read my post. Cox does not allow their reps to take down the ACP approval code over the phone. The only option is to use the COX.com/ACP webpage which is linked to ID.Me. I talked to 9 or 10 billing reps and tech support reps. All of whom told me they could not help me that I had to use the webpage which became locked in saying we were denied. It did not matter that I had an ACP approval code from the ACP's website. I asked for a supervisor on several calls and was told that the rep could not transfer me to a supervisor. I am not one to give up easily. I also tried the online chat but the chat reps could not help either. The ACP told me that cox is one of a few companies that uses their own approval system for ACP and won't accept the approval code given to me on the ACP website.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        The ACP told me that cox is one of a few companies that uses their own approval system for ACP and won't accept the approval code given to me on the ACP website.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks for informing me. Sounds like your out of luck unless you can find someone who can work with that system. I suggest pushing for a supervisor. 

• Hi Coxuserhere. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      coxuserhere
      New Contributor II

I tried on your facebook. The person on their kept saying we were denied by the government for the acp even thou I kept saying we both have approval codes. I just can't deal with this anymore. Cox has made it impossible for us. I have accepted that we will lose the $30 a month that we should be getting.

• The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox High Speed Internet services with other customers. If you need help with billing or other account specific issues, please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com.

Tiffany R.

Cox Support Forum Moderator