Forum Discussion

Nooch
New Contributor
5 years ago

Horrible Intermittent Lag Spikes when online gaming

For the past 3-4 weeks I have been experiencing horrible lag spikes when gaming, browsing internet or even streaming Twitch.tv

I have called Cox over 15 times, spoke to higher-ups, had 4 technicians come by, upgraded my modem+router+power unit + coaxial splitter and so much more to no avail. This has become horrendous to the point of potentially considering switch ISPs. 

Does anyone have any information on a potential fix coming? From everyone I spoke to at Cox over the phone, there seems to be no ETA on a fix. Apparently a node in my area is over-saturated and causing 80% packet loss... WHICH IS CRAZY BAD!!! 

Note: I am in Southern Orange County, California.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • To many people trying to use the internet at the same time. Systemic problem of overselling services and bandwidth on a node. Cox was not anticipating a day would come when thousands of customers where going to be forced to work from home and require a stable internet connection. But such is the risk of overselling a product you dont have the infrastructure to support. 

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi jonathonjoseph, we appreciate your feedback. Our network is built and designed for these types of situations. Cox has been implementing long-term development plans that have been focused on dramatically increasing capacity and speed with things like the DOCSIS 3.1 rollout and updates to headends and other key infrastructure.

If you need any assistance at all, please don't hesitate to email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        jonathonjoseph
        Contributor

Kevin you cant honestly tell me my node is not over saturated? That you did not sell to many accounts with to many high bandwidth and gigblast in my neighborhood and that is not the problem because you pro-actively built infrastructure to handle it? This problem has been ongoing for almost two years. Every day at 5 pm to 10 pm the internet is unstable and only usable for surfing the internet. Now why do you think that is Kevin? As a an intelligent man, I am sure you can use deductive reasoning to determine why a time frame of each day provides unreliable internet.

Its insulting that you ask me to email cox help as if I have not been fighting this for a year and some change already. Trust me I know how to reset the modem, you guys made me an expert in resetting modems because that is the only troubleshooting capacity @cox.com or your tier 1 call in support has. 

p_pham
    New Contributor III

just report it to the FCC.  these guys at the top (managers/supervisors) are vultures.  they need a push from outside force to make them spit out the truth and compensate for our hard earn money.  we pay a hefty price for a service and when that service cannot be delivered then we, as customers, should be compensated.  Those who do not complain or seek out the problem with them are just getting their money eaten up by these vultures.  I am getting 10 Mbps most of the time when I pay for 150Mbps.  Can't even work from home or do anything else when it fluctuates like that.

FCC link:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us?return_to=%2Fhc%2Frequests

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Nooch, I am not detecting any outages reported in your area at this time. For further assistance, can you please email us at cox.help@cox.com? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator