Forum Discussion

Bayman
New Contributor II
5 years ago
Solved

Can’t Access E-Mail using Outlook or MacMail (Error Code 3170)

Can’t Access E-Mail using Outlook or Mac Mail (Error Code 3170)

Starting on 10/2/19, I’ve started getting the following error message: “Outlook cannot find the server. Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct.”  I made no changes to my Outlook e-mail client; this just started happening out of the blue.  Then as a test, I attempted to download my e-mail via Mac Mail.  This also failed to connect, just got a spinning wheel that forced me to use a “force-quit” to get out of the Mail app.

I updated my Cox password and also tried resetting the modem.  It should be noted that I’m able to access my Web Mail via Cox’s main website; no problems there.

Because I cannot access my e-mail using two separate e-mail clients, I strongly believe that the problem is with Cox.  My system details:

Outlook for Mac 2011 (14.7.2)
Mac Mini running Sierra 10.12.6

Although I’d made no changes to either e-mail client, I reviewed the Port settings for both servers (993 and 465) to make sure they were correct.  The “Use SSL to connect (recommended)” check boxes are checked for both Incoming and Outgoing.  For Authentication I have “Use Incoming Server Info” applied (I also tried “User Name and Password” to no effect).

I’ve had issues with my Cox e-mail several times in the past, so I’m quite familiar with how to set up my e-mail clients with the correct information.  I would greatly appreciate any and all assistance, advice, help!  Thanking in advance...

• I finally found the solution.  It wasn't a Cox problem, nor was it an e-mail client problem.  Turned out to be a 3rd party software issue.

On the Apple discussions forum, it was suggested to download the EtreCheck diagnostic app for Mac; it paid off. The problem turned out to be the following “Unsigned” file: com.DataFormatSearchP.plist.  I have no idea what an “Unsigned” file is, or what this one did, but deleting it fixed my problem. Mac Mail is finally working!

Thanks for everyone's replies.

18 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    DaDah
    New Contributor

I’ll try again. I typed all this out and then get logged in.  I had same issue and after Cox couldn’t help me, I called Mircosoft. Took 5 minutes. Open outlook, click on “file”. Under “account information”, click on the “ down arrow” under “account settings”. Choose the 3 rd item, “server settings”.  Unclick the check box by “remember password”, delete the *********, enter your Cox Webmail password, reclick the box to remember the password, click next and it will update. Problem solved. I started having this issue after the last Microsoft update downloaded.  Don’t know why. If this doesn’t fix it, log into your Microsoft account, and have support call you. 

Bayman
      New Contributor II

Thanks for your answer.  I already tried updating my password; didn't work.  I'm almost certain that it's a Cox problem as opposed to an Outlook problem because I can't connect using Mac Mail either.  Not being able to connect using two separate e-mail clients tells me there's something screwed up on Cox's end.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Bayman, I do see that an escalation has been created for this and we will be keeping a close eye on this here in Social Media. Since you have this set to IMAP (993), have you removed the Cox email from your client device entirely and re-entered the credentials? I highly recommend doing so and starting from scratch. Please also verify that the server name fields do NOT include east, west, or central. Here is a step-by-step guide for more information:

www.cox.com/.../changing-email-server-settings-for-microsoft-outlook-2007-2016.html

-Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    JTKH
    New Contributor

I've had the exact same issue since Wednesday 10/9.  Spent over an hour on cox tech support and to no avail, still can't send/receive email on Outlook (2011) on my mac desktop.  Lots of basic questions suspecting my need, which it's not.  Wanted to sell me tech support contract.  Going nuts.

"Outlook can't find the server.  Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Setting, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct."

I have not changed anything in this regard for years!

Please advise and help.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi JTKH, on myemail.cox.net, are you able to send and receive emails? Using one email address, can you please send a test email to yourself on the Cox website, to see if you can send and receive emails? This is our host server, and this helps us determine if this issue needs to be escalated. If you are able to send and receive emails on myemail.cox.net without any issues, I would recommend changing your password on the cox website, http://bit.ly/2KOrZnd. Please make certain the password matches both the incoming and outgoing settings.

Here is some information on setting up an email account for Microsoft:

www.cox.com/.../changing-email-server-settings-for-microsoft-outlook-2007-2016.html

Bayman
      New Contributor II

Hi JTKH,

Since you're on a Mac, check to see if you can send and receive e-mails using Mac Mail.  If both Outlook and Mac Mail aren't working, you're probably facing the same dilemma that I'm in: there's a problem with the Cox servers causing my account to possibly being blocked.  It's been 10 days for me, and still no word from Cox, and still no resolution to this problem.  I'm very frustrated!

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Bayman, this case is still being escalated and worked on, and we apologize for the delay. Typically, if there is no issue at all with the Webmail, and you are able to send and receive emails on our website, we refer the customer to the manufacturer of the Client server. For additional support, please reach out to us at cox.help@cox.com, Facebook, or Twitter. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    bearone2
    Contributor III

for outlook, are you using auto or configure manually when setup?  deleting account is recoverable with outlook data file...pst.

Bayman
      New Contributor II

I was manually configuring my setup.  But at this point, I've decided to abandon Outlook.  My version (2011, Outook for Mac) was old, and it didn't support TLS encryption.  So I'm hoping to go with Mac Mail if I can ever get it to work.  I also upgraded to HIgh Sierra, but still haven't been able to connect.  As an experiment, I downloaded 3 additional e-mail clients: Thunderbird, Spark and Spike.  Had the same problem with Thunderbird and Spark, but interestingly I was able to connect with Spike!  So there must be some type of software conflict/corruption going on.  I have a few more things to try, but if those fail luckily I have an Apple Store in my town, so I'll take it in and have the genius bar techs take a look at it.

bearone2
        Contributor III

try the auto setup, i think 2010 uses tls.

or try email client-outlook look.

Bayman
    New Contributor II

Partial success...

I was able to finally create my Mac Mail account, but only when in Safe Mode. However, now when I boot up normally, I still can't connect; must be some type of corruption somewhere. Connection Doctor just shows a never ending spinning wheel. Obviously, I don't want to have to start up in Safe Mode every time I want to use Mac Mail. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Bayman, I recommend contacting Apple for additional support, and here is their contact information:

Support: 800-275-2273

www.apple.com

Bayman
        New Contributor II

I finally found the solution.  It wasn't a Cox problem, nor was it an e-mail client problem.  Turned out to be a 3rd party software issue.

On the Apple discussions forum, it was suggested to download the EtreCheck diagnostic app for Mac; it paid off. The problem turned out to be the following “Unsigned” file: com.DataFormatSearchP.plist.  I have no idea what an “Unsigned” file is, or what this one did, but deleting it fixed my problem. Mac Mail is finally working!

Thanks for everyone's replies.