Forum Discussion

Joe_Curry
New Contributor
5 years ago

Voice Description will not turn off on my ABC channel

For at least 3 weeks, I have been getting voice description on ABC (channel 9).  I only watch one show on this channel so it is an inconvenience since other channels don't do this.  I have been in contact with Phone support and chat support numerous times with no resolution.  Today COX sent a tech out to the house and told me that they are not allowed to come inside.  So it left me wondering why they bothered sending someone out.

He said that all he could do was swap my Contour box and hope it solved the problem.  But there is no way to know immediately if that solves the problem since there are no shows on ABC that are Voice Description enabled until this afternoon.  Not wanting to lose all the recorded programs I have on the DVR, I told him that I didn't want to exercise that option on a slim possibility that it would solve the problem.

Looking in this forum, I see that others have had a similar problem but I can't see where it has ever been resolved.

So I guess I will be looking deeper into streaming TV and getting rid of COX TV altogether.  In this shutdown, the lack of new programing makes it something that is not even close to being worth what I am being charged.

• It sounds like you have the video description option turned on. You can disable this by clicking the down button on your remote and then click OK on the video description option (pictured in this link) www.cox.com/.../Video_Description_SAP.png

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Joe_Curry
      New Contributor

Of course it is turned on but the settings say it is off and nothing seems to change it.

LatitiaS
        Hi Joe Curry,

I would like to try refreshing your device. Please send us an email to cox.help@cox.com for further assistance.

Latitia
        Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Hi Joe Curry. Also, please check the TV settings to make sure that this feature isn't enabled. If you continue to have issues with a specific channel or a specific show, please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.- Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Joe_Curry
      New Contributor

How many times do I have to tell you people that it is not enabled and it still does the voice description?  I have tried changing the settings numerous times with no change.  I get the feeling that COX support has no idea how to fix this problem and I am just one step closer to going 100% streaming.

Joe_Curry
    New Contributor

The problem with trying to resolve this problem is not very many programs have the capability of doing the Voice Description.  So you can't try a new setting and immediately test to see if that fixed the problem.  You have to wait for a program to come on that does before you will know if it is fixed.  And right now, there aren't any programs on until tomorrow.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

If you've cycled the Contour 2 Video Description setting provided by BrianM On and Off and cycled the Voice Guidance setting provided by MariaL On and and Off for the receiver and you've cycled all the SAP settings for your TV, you might try an Internet search to see if this is a known issue for your type of TV.

You should also try cycling the Contour 2 Audio Language setting.  I was able to recreate this issue over a year ago on a Contour 1 receiver by turning on SAP and setting my Audio Language to Alternate (SAP).  When I changed it back to Primary, the voice narrative stopped.

You should record a program that has a Voice Description indicator.  Then you can test possible solutions any time. 

And, it could be a Cox equipment issue, maybe a faulty tap.  If you've exhausted all other possibilities, you can ask Cox to send a tech with a ladder to check their equipment at the pole.  But, they may charge you for a service call if there's nothing wrong with their equipment.  You should check on that before scheduling an appointment. 

Please post your results.