Forum Discussion

tower
New Contributor
5 years ago

Box speed

I recently switched to Cox from Comcast Xfinity. The cable box response time with Cox is much much slower than I was used to with Xfinity. Is this normal or do I just have a defective cable box?

8 Replies

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

You should first try powering off the receiver for a minute.  It's not a guaranteed fix, but it's been known to improve slow response time.  It can also be caused by weak remote batteries, a faulty remote or poor signal strength.

Since what's considered slow can be a relative comparison, can you give an example of something that has a slow response and how long it takes?  That would enable a comparison to the response times noted by others.

tower
      New Contributor

It happens usually with the guide. After you punch in the channel, it could take up to four seconds for the new channel to kick in. There are even times when the box won't accept the new channel the first time. With Xfinity the response time was instantaneous.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If you only notice the lag while navigating, I doubt its the batteries.

However, you can check them by pressing the Contour button > Settings (Gear Icon) > About

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

If you've tried powering off the receiver for a minute, did it make any noticeable difference? 

If you sometimes have to press keys on the remote multiple times or you have to press keys harder than usual, it can be an indication your batteries are weak and need to be replaced.  If that's the problem, you'll know soon when you're no longer able to to turn on the TV and receiver or change channels with the remote at all.

But, the delay in the receiver responding sounds more like a signal issue.  It's my understanding from a previous discussion that when a key is pressed to change the channel, the receiver communicates with the network and then sends a signal back to your receiver.  Poor signal strength would cause poor response time.

If the problem persists, you should contact cox.help@cox.com.  They'll need your full name and the full service address in order to help you with your account.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @Tower, do you have a splitter in the room where your main cable receiver is? If so, we recommend bypassing it for troubleshooting purposes to see if that speeds up the response time. From what you're describing, it appears you may be experiencing signal issues and sending out a service technician is generally the best course of action. To schedule a service appointment, please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator