Forum Discussion

MrWFH001
New Contributor
4 days ago
Solved

Storm outage

On 6/26/24 a storm hit Fort Smith, AR at about 9am. Cox notified me of the outage. Outage was not repaired until 7:35pm same day. Since then my internet has been crap. Not consistent high speeds and more on the low 1.9 Mbps side. Before the storm I was getting an average of 340 Mbps on the download. Took time to call support. Fixed for a minute, then tanked. I have a modem and a router. Must have power cycled them About 15 times yesterday. Today, still crap. Cox needs to look into this issue on their side. Anyone else in the area having same issue? 

• Update. There was no reason for my 3.0 Docsis modem to be fluctuating in speed when Cox fixed there issue. It was not usable for internet. It would go down to 560Kbps. My modem is on a battery backup with surge protection and the storm never took out my power. Modem should have still been good. Cox says they can send a tech, but if my equipment it's a $75 charge. I decided to get a 3.1 Docsis modem cause everyone I talked to was pushing that. Then I could see if it was a modem issue. Registered the new modem and now internet and speeds are fine and steady. Weird this happened. Is Cox killing 3.0 modems when they get a chance? That's one theory. 

2 Replies

MrWFH001
    New Contributor

Update. There was no reason for my 3.0 Docsis modem to be fluctuating in speed when Cox fixed there issue. It was not usable for internet. It would go down to 560Kbps. My modem is on a battery backup with surge protection and the storm never took out my power. Modem should have still been good. Cox says they can send a tech, but if my equipment it's a $75 charge. I decided to get a 3.1 Docsis modem cause everyone I talked to was pushing that. Then I could see if it was a modem issue. Registered the new modem and now internet and speeds are fine and steady. Weird this happened. Is Cox killing 3.0 modems when they get a chance? That's one theory. 

StephanieS

MrWFH001  So sorry that you're continuing to have trouble.  Please send an email to cox.help@cox.com and include your full name and address.  I can help!