Forum Discussion

jorgepullin
New Contributor
3 years ago

Slower download speeds after Hurricane Ida

Hi

I'm in Baton Rouge, LA, and we lost service for a day during Hurricane Ida. After the service was restored, I see reduced download speeds (about 30mb/s when they used to be 400+ mb/s). Surprisingly, the upload speeds are normal, around 33 mb/s, and usually higher than the download ones (!). I spoke to two Cox reps. The first tried boosting the signal and then I got disconnected. The second one just tried to blame it on my devices, even though I was able to reproduce the problem with just one computer hardwired into the Panoramic router, and nothing else, and then I got disconnected again. I have rebooted the router several times and checked the cable connection to the wall.

Interestingly, the connection looks more stable than before. When I watch 4K video in the past it would occasionally lose resolution. Now it almost never happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Jorge

6 Replies

FrankieFrank
    New Contributor II

Same here in Jefferson Parrish Metairie. 

I used to get over 500 down and now I'm down to 25 down. 

I checked modem logs and there is lot of noise SNR now.

So, not sure if they are cleaning up the lines still or is there more equipment that needs to be repaired. 

Tnx

Allan
      @FrankieFrank, Since you are experiencing noise on the line, I first recommend bypassing any splitters you may have and run the cable line directly to the modem. I also recommend checking to make sure the cable line is nice and snug with the modem. If neither of those help, then I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this issue to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
        FrankieFrank
        New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion.   But I connected straight from NID to my modem as a test and I still have terrible download speeds since storm. So definitely,  our area has lots of equipment issues still.  

Thanks

• @Jorge, I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this concern to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    FrankieFrank
    New Contributor II

Seems like when the cable does come back, the speeds are throttled down to 30 download and 10 up.  Glad we have some.internet back but can't wait until we get full speed here in Metairie/New Orleans.