Forum Discussion

DaleBr
New Contributor
2 years ago

Running out of email space

Hi:

I am running low on email space … I continue to reach the 90% limit.

How can I determine which folders/messages in myemail.cox.net are using the most space ?

How can I see the amount of space being used by each message/attachment ?

How can I download messages/attachments to say a thumbdrive,

so that I can then delete the messages from my Cox online account ?

Can the storage-space allocated to my email account by Cox, be increased ?

Thank you

DaleBr

5 Replies

Karen_Anne
    New Contributor II

That's why I use thunderbird on my WIndows laptop to read and send cox mail.  It uses POP not IMAP, so the mail is on my laptop but gets deleted from the web ie cox.  As to your actual question, I have no idea about that.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

The biggest culprits are unnecessary email in your Sent, Spam and Trash folders.

Which folders/messages in myemail.cox.net are using the most space?
    I don't see a feature to itemize the size of each folder.

How can I see the amount of space being used by each message/attachment ?
    If you click a folder, there is a Sort By option under View.  If you sort by Size, the largest email will be at the top of the list.

How can I download messages/attachments to say a thumbdrive?
    > Select the checkbox to the left of the email (click Select All)
    > Click the icon with the 3 horizontal lines (More Options)
    > Choose Save File As

...or you could just download its attachment(s)

Karen_Anne
      New Contributor II

If he downloads as you describe, is the downloaded stuff in a readable form such as text messages, or does it need to be uploaded if that is possible to be displayed?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Good question.  It'll save in whichever file type your default email client creates.  For example, my default email program saves it as a .eml file.  Thunderbird and Outlook may be different.

As to what to do with a .eml file would be another story.  I don't know if my default email program would allow me to import it or not...but I'm not going to test it.  I had a horrible experience with this a few computers ago with the end result being absolutely unable to delete an "unrecognizable file" from my desktop.  It was 0 bytes with a 255-character filenames consisting of gibberish.

I think attachments are the OP's problem, so download 'em to a backup plan.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

If you insist on using webmail, and not using  POP to download the emails to a computer, then at the top of the list of messages, there is a little arrow and it says "SORT BY", select SIZE, and Descending, and will sort the emails by size, largest first, so that emails that have attachments or pictures in them will be at the top. Deleting those will make the most space the quickest. Ensure to re-sort by date/descending, them go to the trash folder and empty it.