Forum Discussion

razor7tech
New Contributor
4 years ago

Need Help with Motorola Warning Messages

Hello

My internet connection has been up and down for 3 days. I have eliminated my router as the cause. I'm trying to determine if my Motorola cable modem is the cause.

After the Cox outage was resolved in my area, I see the below warning repeated in my modem logs. Can anyone help me understand what this means? I redacted my MAC addresses.

RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC= redacted;CMTS-MAC= redacted;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Troubleshooting done =

Rebooted router and modem

Power cycled router and modem

Replaced network cable

Replaced router

Exhausted level 1 Cox tech support after they did a remote reboot of my modem

I'm an IT professional and can say that all layer 1 troubleshooting has been done. My next step is doing a complete factory reset of the modem, but since I've already spent so many hours on this, thought I'd try this forum to see if there are any network professionals here that can help me identify the cause and not spend too much more time trying to identify the root cause.

Thanks!!

Stephen

6 Replies

• @Razor7Tech, Are there any splitters or signal amps on the cable line going to the modem? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      razor7tech
      New Contributor

Hey allan

Yes, there is a splitter on the coax cable. One cable goes to my modem and the other goes to a cable just sitting there and not connected to anything. Not sure why the dude that did the install did that.

Should I remove the splitter and just go straight into the modem?

Thanks 👍

razor7tech
        New Contributor

PS. We used to have phone and internet with Cox and that was why there was a splitter. Now we only have internet.

There is an attenuater attached to the splitter. Should I remove the attenuater when I remove the splitter or leave it?