Forum Discussion

gotowls
New Contributor
2 years ago

Internet Service interruptions, have replaced equipment, wires, and had tech out to home

Currently on Cox Gigablast.

Started experiencing connection drops and high latency spikes on both mine and my wife's computer a couple weeks ago. Prior to that everything was fine.

Replaced my modem as a troubleshooting step, problems did not go away. I experience the connection drops and latency spikes even when plugged directly into the modem with a Cat6. I've also tried this on two different computers plugged directly into the modem.

Modem is Netgear CM1000v2, issue also occured on an Arris S33.

Replaced RG6 coax cable to ensure it wasn't a bad connection, no good. Tech came out to apartment, couldn't identify any issue with our connection box outside. Suggested we replace the cabling from box to home. Ran my own RG6 to test, issues persist.

Speaking with Cox support last week it sounds like Cox was doing infrastructure upgrades in this area due to a higher-than-expected capacity. Upgrades were supposedly completed over a week ago.

Here is what my modem control panel looks like after just a few hours of operation:

Not sure what to do at this point, I believe I've hit every possible troubleshooting step that can be done on my side. Any suggestions for how I can go about getting this fixed? At this time I think it's pretty safe to say this is an issue on Cox's end.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

You mentioned you live in a apartment and your signal levels look on the high side. Can you describe how the coaxial gets from the street to the room the modem is in? Does it go through some maintenance room or amp before getting to your apartment?

Also, what do the logs say? Be sure to edit out the CM MAC address from the logs if you post them.

gotowls
      New Contributor

Cable runs up and into small attic space above apartment units, then back down the other side and into the cox box street-side. Nothing in that routing changed since the issues started.

If it helps, I've lived in two different units in this complex, they've both used that setup, and this is the first time I've experienced issues.

Requested log is below. Only have a ~day of activity on this modem since it was reactivated.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Looks like noise on the upstream and downstream. I suggest another technician or someone to check the line in the attic. Or at the very least isolate if the problem is happening at the demarc in the Cox box. Can you move your modem out there with a power cord for a little bit?