Forum Discussion

Hjasonayres
New Contributor II
10 months ago

Internet has recently started losing connectivity multiple times per day. Wireless and Wired

Internet has recently started losing connectivity multiple times per day. Wireless and Wired  Do I need to change the modem?  Wire from street to house was recently changed by cox for the same issue. 

• Been having the same issue in southwest Louisiana for the last week and a half. Had a tech come out & he said the wires were hooked up wrong but it's been the same way for 6 years and he replaced  a splitter.  It worked 1 day then the issue returned.  I went to cox & replaced the modem it helped 1 day then problems returned. Every day it's on & off usually  around 7 or 8 pm . Sometimes it comes back in 5 minutes but sometimes  up to 5 hours . 

imposteradam
      New Contributor

5 times tonight and consistently dropping every evening, a few times, at peak times for the past week and a half. I'm already waiting to recover from the holidays so I can get Starlink as Cox has stupid low data caps regardless of tier you purchase. Entertainment requires a solid internet connection. We should at least be guaranteed that.

Located in NW Arkansas (72715)

Another odd thing is I bought my modem from Cox instead of leasing it and they won't give me the login for it. Any time I ask, they just shrug their shoulders and say it should just be the default log in creds but it's not. I'm ready to ditch them and have been a monopolized customer since 2007.

jaydownsouth
        New Contributor

I have the panoramic modem, they don't offer them for sell, can only lease it but I'm going to purchase a modem with no wifi and separate them 

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

If the light on the modem is still solid white when you lose connectivity, swap the modem at the cox solution store for a replacement. It sounds like there is an issue with the modem/router itself. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

You really think so? Did you see the signal levels where the upstream drops? Sounds like a T4 error that is making it resync. I guess swapping out the gateway can't hurt anything. It will be one less thing for Cox to blame so they can focus on the real problem.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Darn. It is more difficult with a modem router combo(AKA Panoramic gateway). Try going to 192.168.0.1 > User;admin password;password(unless changed) > Connection > Cox Network > Scroll down and look at the downstream and upstream levels. Copy/paste is difficult because of the formatting so if possible, upload a screenshot. Basically your downstream should be between +5 and -5 and SNR above 35. Upstream should be below 50. The bad part is you can't see your logs of when the connection drops.

Also you mentioned the coaxial going to the street was replaced, but could you explain how the coaxial gets from the street to the room the gateway is in? Splitters/filters/amps? If so, how many and what kind?

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What model modem do you have? It almost never is the modem hardware. Usually a signal issue. Can you post your signal levels? I can tell how once I know what modem you have.

Hjasonayres
    New Contributor II

Typically if I reset or restart the modem the signal will come back for a period of time.