Forum Discussion

Kalebkk890
New Contributor III
4 years ago

Intermittent Latency

Has anyone else also experienced extreme packet loss and huge latency spikes over the last 8 months? I have put in a total of 17 tickets with Cox at this point and its the same exact story every time where someone comes to my house looks at the cables and tells me there is nothing wrong physically. I tell and show them all of the packet statistics i have captured over the last many months. They then tell me they will give me a call after talking to their engineers and I never get that call. Here I am at 9:00 PM still having issues after providing more proof than any customer should have ever provided. I know for 100% sure the issue lies on whatever the first hop is from my modem to whatever router that it connects to. This is not a physical problem it is the equipment that cannot hold up to the bandwidth that is being pushed through it. I do not want anyone coming to my house again I just need a network engineer to please at least address this issue for me. If anyone has any guidance that has also went through this please let me know.

27 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    BenS1
    Former Moderator
    Hi @Kalebkk890,

Could you please post the results for your pingplots/traceroutes? Also when you ran your traceroute/pingplot did you bypass your router and plug directly into the modem?

Ben S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Kalebkk890
    New Contributor III

I have months of these. You can see the IPs that I have been testing on and the corresponding down times along with my home network not having any latency at all. I do have a copper connection to my modem.

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      @Kalbkk890,

Thanks for the snapshots. It does appear that you are having a lot of intermittent issues with packet loss throughout the day. Did you happen to have the snapshots of a traceroute/pingplot that shows the hops and IPS?

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Kalebkk890
        New Contributor III

This is a traceroute to a popular DNS server but everything that I send a traceroute to shows the same first 4 hops and the latency happens before it even hits 10.4.40.1 which is private IP space. I did more digging and found the 98.166.152.1 IP and that also having latency which is still within the COX equipment and that IP was verified by a tech that came to my house not too long ago. These IPs show up in the analytics photos that I tagged and you can see when the closest device to my modem has issues then the whole chain does which makes sense because that is how a network works.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
        2 8 ms 7 ms 12 ms    10.4.40.1
        3 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms      100.120.125.20
        4 9 ms 10 ms 7 ms    100.120.124.52
        5 17 ms 10 ms 11 ms 68.1.5.166
        6 9 ms 9 ms 8 ms       172.69.160.2
        7 9 ms 26 ms 10 ms one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]

09kcheng
    New Contributor

I have the exact same issue. Large amounts of packet loss and latency spikes constantly throughout the day, especially during the evening, though it doesn't matter when or what day. I have performed countless ping tests at different times of the day and I still see latency spikes >100ms to Los Angeles servers and I live in Southern California. I have spoken to cox customer support online and they say "my speeds are fine" and they don't see anything. I then had a technician come out to inspect the hardwiring and I was told they "tracked the latency spikes to the street." I was then told that it would be escalated, only to find out that nothing was done. After, multiple online chats with cox, I was told that there were no notes on my work order and that all they could do was send a new technician. I then took it upon myself to contact the technician directly, and then I was told that there are too many users and there is nothing they can do about it until cox decides to upgrade the network. I asked for a time table and was told it is unknown as they are dealing with unprecedented times. Now I have a second technician coming. Can someone please help?

Kalebkk890
      New Contributor III

That is exactly where I am at also man. I have now filed an FCC complaint along with a legal claim now for my money back for the last 8 months of network issues. Hopefully Cox does something with that info. I strongly recommend this website https://fairshake.com

09kcheng
        New Contributor

That's awesome. Hopefully the time and effort will pay off. Have you tried searching the forums? There's a huge thread from enrapt about how they have sent multiple communications to cox, they received and recognized issues but do nothing. I would appreciate it if you keep me in the loop on your complaint. Best wishes

Kalebkk890
      New Contributor III

I got a call from someone at Cox about the FCC complaint I filed. They said they would set me up with a tech to come look at the cabling on Monday. The guy that was scheduled to come out called me today and said he knows that the node I am connected to is incredibly over saturated over 90% and that is what is causing the issues. He said they aren't fixing the note until May so I don't know what to do from here because I refuse to pay Cox for another 6 months for essentially no internet. 

SharonL
        Former Moderator
        Hello, I am sorry to hear you have been having difficulties with your services. This appears as if you may need someone to investigate your account personally. We would be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Thank you.

Sharon
        Cox Support Forum Moderator
    xtine
    New Contributor

I never heard of packet loss or latency spikes but I'm beginning to think this is my problem too. The picture drops out to a black screen for a millisecond and then comes right back. This happens multiple times per minute making watching anything on TV maddening. This has been happening for weeks. We are in downtown San Diego. What do you suggest we do?

Allan
      @Xtine, Is this issue happening with all tvs in the home or just one? Also, does this happen on all channels? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    topcat867
    New Contributor

I have been experiencing the same issues. Same song and dance. I am ready to change services to find something better. I have tried changing modem and upgraded my bandwidth hoping it would resolve the issue, but to no avail. I have even tried using the modem's logs to show that the modem's connection is not stable, but what are logs. At times I can watch my modem's connection screen and watch the upstream power fluctuate. Just make believe information though. And to your question, no there are zero cable splitters. It comes from the street directly to the modem and a previous technician verified each connection.https://imgur.com/WFIWUk9https://imgur.com/Qc1evo6

https://imgur.com/cjnHMAZ

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @Topcat867

I've checked the modem signal levels and they're showing some time out errors (T3). Please try unplugging the power cord and reseating both ends of the coax cable and if still having an issue email your full name and address to cox.help@cox.com. We may need to schedule a technician out.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator

Kalebkk890
        New Contributor III

I don't know if you saw my earlier post (It's getting a little confusing with replys) I am in direct touch with the person that splits/replaces nodes. He has without a doubt confirmed the node I am connected to is the problem. He has unfortunately said they wont replace it until May. I now need to know where to go next past the node replacement to get this issue resolved sooner than that to hopefully not waste 6+ months of my money on this service. If someone from Cox can please send a response that does not relate to resetting my modem or scheduling someone out to my house I would greatly appreciate it. These troubleshooting steps are not going to help and I understand everyone is doing their job trying them but I have been past that part for over 9 months now and actually need an engineer from Cox that can come up with a better solution to my node issue.