Forum Discussion

ekhawaii
Contributor
5 years ago

I cannot insert a Image, that uses copy/paste or....FIXED!

ChristoferC (COX) and CurtB....

here is the original post https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_forum/f/tv-forum/24308/i-cannot-insert-a-image-that-uses-copy-paste-or-other-clipboard-tools-into-this-forum-s-reply-box

Well it looks like there was some COX movement because I can now post images into a "signed in" Reply box of this Forum.  I'm now required to sign-in to each individual Topic (TV, Internet, Phone, Apps) before I can respond/insert to any posting within.  The Insert of a copied/paste image is now available.  When you sign in, you now get an notification under the Lightning Bolt that you are in.  I normally sign in at the beginning before looking at the postings, but Now seems to need another sign-in that appears at the bottom of the page

The image below now appears if there was no category sign-in.

I also notice that the Inset link in the bottom of the reply box now has the File Upload entry appearing....prior to this fix, it did not and was missing!

CurtB...give this a try, I know you had problems like me....if you have this on your Forum Reply...let us know...I think you are out further East of me here in SoCal.

ChristopherC from COX.....so is this fix only applicable to selected regions/users of the country.  The problem did not seem to affect many other posters to this Forum....or is this 'Change' going to affect everyone?  It would be nice if you could briefly explain what the problem was so that us that failed could understand the effort involved.  I did notice that I could not copy/pastet here an image that was previously inserted into an email...only thing that worked is a newly Snip image...but hey, this is great....Happy Xmas today to everyone!!

28 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III
    I'm now required to sign-in to each individual Topic (TV, Internet, Phone, Apps) before I can respond/insert to any posting within. 

You only have to join one time to each forum you will post in.

Merry Christmas!

• CurtB...yes, only one sign-in to each forum you want to reply/insert...no sign-in for viewing only.  Have not heard if this is a global change for everyone or just a few like us....and what made us so special..  I hope Cox will respond with some info since you and I spent time writing to them the last couple of mo.

So CurtB...the inserts/paste worked good for you I suspect.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III
    I'm now required to sign-in to each individual Topic (TV, Internet, Phone, Apps) before I can respond/insert to any posting within.

ekhawaii, as you know, you can view forum comments without providing authentication, but you have to sign in to the forums with your Cox credentials to post comments.  However, you don't have to join any of the individual forums to do so.  You can post replies without joining any individual forum.  You just can't insert an image into a comment until you join the forum in which the comment is posted.  It's kind of weird.  I doubt it was intended to work that way.

Question: Is there anybody who can post images who didn't join the forum in which the comment is located?

ekhawaii
      Contributor

CurtB....I agree with your posted observation above.  This "joining the individual forums"  item only started happening for me on the Xmas Day.  I'm guessing for you too.  Your question "Is there anybody who can post images who didn't join the forum in which the comment is located" ....well we know that many other posters had no problem in the past....unless they also had to "join" and we were not informed.  I think WiderM was the only one to reply post any comment, and he had no problem.  Would be nice to here from WiderM if this is so, or he now has to log on.  Very strange that there has not been other users making comments on this subject.

I also did see that when you now "join", even if you plan not to insert images.....that a different view of the topic appears.  Under the lightning bolt, selecting the "you are now a member" shows a slightly different display than when you just select the 1 + 4 topics at the top or a specific entry under this Bolt.  I even see when someone joined into one of the topic columns....

But hey, Cox will not provide a dialogue so we must rely on observations from the user community!

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

ekhawaii, WiderMouthOpen is a member of the TV and Internet forums and he didn't join them anytime recently.  (I hope you don't mind that I looked at your profile, WiderM).  I don't think the ability to post images is a regional thing and I don't think any changes were made Christmas Day.  I think all we had to do to be able to post images all along was just join the forums.  I'm not sure if the "click to join" has been at the bottom of the screen this whole time, but I suspect it was.  I never joined the forums because it isn't required for posting comments.

• Hi Everyone, I wish I could provide you with details regarding the problem and the fix. However, our team is not provided that information. I'm glad to hear that image-posting is now working correctly! -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

That "click to join" banner...although you're already signed-in...has always appeared at the bottom of my screen.  I'm looking at it now.

I've always noticed the inconsistencies uploading images.  I've never had the option to upload an image from my computer.  My only 2 options under Insert Image/Video/File are Web (URL) and Community (Search).  If I want to upload an image, I need to find the image on the Internet and post its link.

If you need to sign-in for each Insert, it's another bug.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

If you click on the "click to join" at the bottom of the page, your "Insert image/video/file" options will include a third option of "File Upload".  You will then be able to post images including screen print/paste.  That's the upside.  The downside is that joining a forum subscribes you to that forum.  You will then receive the "red circle" you mentioned in another post today for every new post in the forum, including those to which you have not participated.  I too find that a bit annoying so I have opted to "Leave" each of the forums so as not to be inundated with new post notifications.  Should I ever want to post an image, I will "Join" the forum again long enough to post the image.  That wouldn't be an issue if Forum Settings allowed you to save notification option selections as discussed in that other post today. There are a few things about the process logic of these forums that I probably would have done differently, but once you understand the rules, you can come up with a workaround that best suits your needs.  

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Hmm...I never noticed that.  I typed an entire spiel before selecting/testing Click to Join...then I lost it.  I then got the red circle notice I am now a member of the Internet Forum.  Wasn't I a member before?  And you say I need to become a member again each time I want to upload another image from my computer?

Who designed this?

ekhawaii
      Contributor

Wow, Bruce and CurtB...this has been an education...thanks for all your insights...So Bruce, you say that you have always had that login at the bottom of the category and joined when you wanted to insert and image or be a subscriber.  For me and maybe CurtB, Xmas day was the first I've seen it...and it works.  However, you said you had to post an image on the internet first, and it could never be on your computer's Clip Board.  Does that mean that everyone else that have posted had the lower screen Join, as part of their Forum Preference?  So who else has an comment...maybe WiderM.

CurtB...yes the Save part of the Settings that you posted is broken....I've never gone there before today...all my boxes are checked...failed at changing my TimeZone..... Having to subscribe or not in-order to control the Red dot notices makes following the Forum and bit awkward, but as you said, start understanding the rules and workarounds are created.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Attn Cox!

Cox needs to make 2 changes to the Forum
    1.  Remove the following option:  Click-to-Join (Membership)
    2.  Make the following a default option for customer accounts:  File Upload option under Insert Image/Video/File

The Click-to-Join banner is confusing, not explained and aggravating if you don't know its consequence.

Confusing:  If I'm already signed in the Forum, why do I need to join a Group?  I can already post a question in any Group, contribute to a question, like or dislike a reply and choose an answer to my post.  Aside from the File Upload option, membership offers no additional rights.

Not explained:  This is self-explanatory.  Where is membership to a Group explained?

Aggravating:  I've read complaints of contributors being spammed with notifications.  They're getting notifications to post they've never read, never contributed or ever cared about.  The contributors apparently selected Click-to-Join and didn't know of its hidden consequences:  notification spam.

Notification Spam:  Nobody needs this because the Home page of each Group already identifies unread Posts and unread updates to previously-read Posts

If you're already a Cox customer, the File Upload option should be automatically enabled by default on your Forum account.  I want to distinguish between a Cox customer and a non-Cox customer.  In accordance with the Forum Guidelines, anybody in the general public can create an account on the Forum; therefore, this default right should be exclusive to only Cox customers.

With these recommended changes, the red bubbles over Notifications icon (lightning bolt) would only indicate updates to Post I have contributed.  I do not want to scroll through 17 updates inside a tiny window about stuff I don't care about.  In addition, Cox customers wouldn't be confused about how to insert an image from their computers.

UPDATE:  We've had previous Cox customers move to geographical areas without Cox service; however, they still contribute to the Forum.  These previous customers have been...are still are...highly productive in the Forum.  Therefore, in addition to Customer and non-customer accounts, Cox should create a third type of account for these valuable contributors.  These valuable, non-customer accounts should have additional privileges, such as posting questions and uploading images from their PC.  VIP account?

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

How to unsubscribe from a Forum group:

1. Click on one of the Forum selections at the top of the page.

2. Click the "More" button in the lower right of the page.

3. Click the "Manage subscriptions" button.

4. Click "Unsubscribe" for each of the listed Forum groups.

You will now only receive notifications in the unsubscribed Forum group for those threads in which you have participated.  If you have joined the group, you will still be able to post images.  Remember that when you join a Forum group, it subscribes you to that Forum group.  So, be sure to join the group first, then unsubscribe from it.

Updated: An easier way to perform this process:

1. Click your profile icon in the upper right.

2. Click "Settings"

3. Click "Subscriptions"

4. Click "Unsubscribe" for each of the listed Forum groups.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Is this for me?  It's well instructive but it's a needless procedure.  Get rid of Membership and make Upload File default on customer accounts.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Bruce, thank you for providing this valuable feedback, it is much appreciated. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Now, I'm gonna be fussy.  You've got the clay there...now you need to chisel it.

Title.  Is this process really "How to post images..." or how to upload an image from my PC?  I can already post an image from either a URL or Community Search.  I just can't browse for an image on my drive.

Purpose.  The first paragraph is your Purpose, which is good because it explains what this checklist is to accomplish.  Why do I need to read this?  However, in your procedural steps, you repeat what the step is to accomplish.  It's redundant.  Keep your purpose(s) in the section called Purpose.

Definitions.  You should define and distinguish...or just eliminate...some of your terms:  comment, forum, group, post, thread.  What's the difference between a post and a comment?  Also, you're using the terms forum and group interchangeably.  What the difference between a group and an individual forum?  KISS.

Numbering.  You have an odd sequence.  How do you have a 1a without a 1?  Also, if you start with a Step 1a and follow with a Step 1b, you don't need "and then" between the steps.  It's assumed your steps are sequential.

Comments.  Do you need a step to "Do nothing?"  What does "enable unsubscribe" mean?  Don't create another How to section just to refer another How to section.  Rename the first How to section.

I'm just streamlining your procedural summary.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

I made a few of the changes you suggested.

I didn't really like the sound of "how to upload an image from my PC".  Plus it's too long.  So I went with "paste copied images".

I don't necessarily assume that everyone will do the steps in the proper order, but I get paid the same whether they do or not.  $0.00 πŸ€‘

I kept the text in the procedural steps.  It references back to the narrative. 

I changed "comment" to "reply".  That seems right.  

"Thread" is a widely accepted term.  It's shorter than "Questions and Discussions" and Cox uses it in their Forum Settings, so "thread" stays.  

II clarified the "enable subscribe" thing ( I think).

I'm not really sure what you were referring to with the How to section referring to another How to section.  But I'm good with the change I made.  It's a little repetitive because two of the multi-steps to Join and Leave are the same.  But it should be crystal clear... even to you!  πŸ˜‰

Proper grammar was occasionally sacrificed for space, but my HS English teacher will never see it.  πŸ˜¬

Here are the revised procedures.

Goodnight and God bless us all.