Forum Discussion

CurtB
Valued Contributor III
5 years ago

Forum settings will not save

Checking and unchecking options in Forum Settings and clicking the "Save" button has no affect.  When Settings are re-displayed, all options are checked again.  It's been this way for a considerable time.  I noticed this same issue in this thread from a year ago, but I'm not sure if it was ever thought to have been fixed.  Is this a known issue or are Forum Settings supposed to be working? 

15 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I've noticed another bug.  The lightening bolt indicates I have "1 unread notification" but after I click to expand it, nothing appears.  It just displays the built-in options:  View All and Settings.  It's very annoying because it's a permanent red circle with a "1" inside and I can't get rid of it.

UPDATE:  ghost circle has mysteriously disappeared.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

Bruce, have you tried this to locate your 1 unread notification?

1. Click the notifications lightning bolt.

2. Click "View all" (You may test site limits, but let's see what happens) ðŸ˜‰

3. Click "That aren't read"  <==  from the filter on the right under "Your Notifications"

Does it list an old notification that you haven't read?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I originally tried to filter by Unread but got no matches.  That's when I clicked each activity from the past 4 months to attempt clearing the red circle.  No go.

However, today the ghost circle mysteriously disappeared.  That's good.

I learned something in this thread but still don't understand it.  I can log into the Forum, I can post comments to any unlocked conversation...but the banner at the bottom reads: 

Internet Forum Requires Membership for Participation - Click to Join

Although I've never previously clicked that banner, I have been participating by posting comments.  Does "membership" solely mean to upload an image from my computer...oh, and to be spammed by every post in said participated forum?  It's weird, right?

• CurtB....I tried doing a save of my Time Zone....and the Save does not activate, so you are correct...its broken!

Bruce...I too have wondered about the contents listed under the Lightning bolt.  I don't understand why certain postings are tagged and others are not.  I used to think that when I login, and see Bold listings under the ForumHome...or any of the others columns, that they would appear under the Bolt....this is not true.  After opening each Red circle entry, I still see Bold entries.  I too have had Red circles and have gone to ForumHome and gone to each numbered page and selected a Bold post.  I go back as much as 4 or 5 pages and usually the Reds clear.  However,  the Red numbers don't indicate that there is a Bold entry that you have not read.  I don't know how this Forum decides to indicate how many each user has yet to read.  The numbers definitely are not what is in Bold, but some other algorithm...good question.

I don't know if you try to look at each post or just the ones that appear under the Bolt.  Maybe, you need to try and Page back to open some of the still Bold entries...like I said, there is no Logic as to why some posting appear as unread under the Bolt, and yet other Bold entries still remain.  Maybe some AI logic is introduced and the AI sees you commenting about certain subject or words and thinks you need to read other similar topics...like buying something, and getting suggestions on other Buys of a similar item....Amazon does that.... 

Here is my Bolt

But here is a Bold entry on my Page 2...this happens all the time!

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

You're speaking of 2 different issues.  I have a permanent red notification circle I can't get rid of.  I even navigated to the Activities section under my profile and clicked on each of my post for the past 4 months...but the circle will not clear.

There is also an issue with late red circles.  If I notice a topic has changed since I had last contributed to it (bold font with a name of a new contributor), I will not get a red circle.  Nonetheless, I click on the topic to read the post and the bold font will return to thin font.  The bold font notification works.

However, later in the day, there will be a late red notification circle of that "new" post...even though I had already read it.

It's just broken and indicative of no quality assessments at Cox.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

This forum website is outsourced from a vendor.  In regard to development, it appears that Cox's role may be limited to notifying the vendor when issues are noted.  Cox doesn't have development control.  It's unknown what administrative control Cox may have over setting options that Cox customers can choose.

ekhawaii
      Contributor

Yes Bruce...this red circle counter under the Bolt is a bit confusing.  I have to believe that COX built in a AI thing that chooses when to red dot and which get Bold highlighted.  It definitely is associated  to a user's login, because, when you first go to the Forum, prior to login, line comments are Bold (mmm I need to check this out further). 

I notice that topics that I may have previously commented to and Not read, appear in their own section of the Bolt...and disappear after read.  Same goes for this new Join to comment section that I covered in another Post today.  By the way, Bruce, did you have to Join starting from yesterday or never have?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Notifications are definitely tied to user accounts.  This is how notifications are suppose to work.

1.  If you don't login...or are not a subscriber...click a topic, read it and return to the Home page...the topic remains bold.  It remains bold because your actions are not associated to a user account.

Then you log in...

2.  If you click a topic and just read it...meaning, you don't contribute...the font thins.  However, if another contributor changes the post...meaning, contributes to it...the font returns to bold because the post has changed and you haven't read the update.

If you contribute to the post, the font does the exact same thing:  bold, thin, bold, etc with each new post.  It's no different from you not contributing to the post.

3.  Again, if you contribute to a post, the website automatically subscribes you to the post.  If you didn't contribute, you're not subscribed but the font still indicates changes to the post.  The red circles are subscription updates.

If you contributed to the post and then someone else contributes, you'll get a red circle(s).  If you don't contribute, you'll never get red circle(s).

Bold Font indicates changes to any post and Circles indicate changes to subscribed post.

-----

I don't understand your "joining" question.