Forum Discussion

CoxCustomerServ
New Contributor
2 years ago

How to disconnect a device you don't know what it is

I went over my data usage for the first time this month. How do I see which devices are using data each month? I have a device showing up that I want to 'forget' but app won't let me unless I can disconnect it myself.  Not my device, but it shows connected. Cox can't disconnect it and also can't tell me if or how much data this device used.  This is so lame customer service I can't believe it.  The answer is that I have to change my password and reconnect ALL the devices on my plan.

I cannot find anything in my online account or on the Cox Panaramic WiFi App.

This is CRAZY!!

15 Replies

comanche
    New Contributor

Your Cox app should allow you to pull up the device in question and pause it from your gateway until you want it reconnected. At least whomever has gotten on will not have access as long as the device is paused. I do this with my grandson. I had an instance where a device showed up, but it turned out to be my Cox techs phone.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I don't think the meter tracks bandwidth per device. It only measure total bandwidth. I agree that their gateway solution is lacking. If your serious about measuring your bandwidth then I suggest getting a stand alone router with a bandwidth meter. Asus makes it easy. Here is a emulation.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

The pano app is supposed to allow you to see what amount of data each device is using, on a pano modem. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Really? So the meter doesn't track devices but the gateway does. Good to know. Any idea how it works for the OP?

Lovemylab
    Contributor III

If you were to run Fing, that might help you pin down what it is. If you use the Google Home app, that should show you the device and the data utilization.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

There are lots of replies to monitor the data usage of this unknown device, but no instructions to either pause, forget or block the device from OP's network.

Who is familiar with the App to navigate to this setting?

TiffanyR

To pause a device on the network, all you would need to do is open the Panoramic Wifi App, go to Connect to see the devices and simply select the desired unpaused device and then select Pause Device. You can either pause for a specific amount of time (like 30 minutes, one hour, etc,) or indefinitely until you choose to unpause. More information can be found at https://www.cox.com/residential/internet/learn/panoramic-wifi-app.html . 

Tiffany R.
      Cox Support Forum Moderator

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

403 error: Forbidden Page

We can't find that page