Forum Discussion

PleaseFixPacket
New Contributor
5 years ago

Hampton Roads, VA: Severe packet loss, terrible upstream speeds.

As a lot of other people here have experienced, I'm having severe packet loss and terrible, inconsistent upload speeds. I've been on the phone with tech support, who escalated things twice to tier 2 support. While tier 2 were friendly and took their time to troubleshoot, no solutions were found apart from offering a tech to come out on Wednesday. Apparently, though, they are unable to enter homes to evaluate the coax due to COVID.
Symptoms:
- Extremely slow and inconsistent upload speeds.
- Severe packet loss, as tech support had seen.
- Packet loss seen with the packetlosstest.com site, as well as with continuous pings to 8.8.8.8 showing timeouts.
- Speed tests with Google, Ookla, and Cox's own speed test show good download speed of 800-900 Mbps down, but anywhere from 0.0 to 20 Mbps up.
- Most of the time, upload speed is anywhere from 0-2 Mbps, but it varies, sometimes stopping completely.
What we've tried:
- Direct connection from modem to desktop and laptop.
- Resetting modem, reprovisioning modem.
- Replacing coax and ethernet cables.
- Using my old SB6190 modem (with downgrade to Ultimate, to see if upload speeds were consistent).
- Using a laptop connected directly to modem.
Other threads have mentioned node saturation. I've sent e-mail to the cox.help@cox.com address including screen shots of the packet loss and speed tests.
The sad thing is that a lot of people require a stable, usable internet connection for work. Many people's work is ESSENTIAL such as people who work in healthcare.
I hope you are able to fix this, Cox. A complaint as been filed with the FCC as many people have been experiencing this problem. 

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      PleaseFixPacket
      New Contributor

I have already visited the link. If you had bothered to read my post, you'd have realized that I had taken all the steps in your linked post and more.

DannyS
        If you have an appointment scheduled tomorrow. They should be able to assist with any of the concerns so they can be addressed. If you would need any additional assistance after the appointment? Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us your name and the complete service address to get started.
    jmorrison757
    New Contributor II

Had problems with Download speeds in Portsmouth today. CS blames my equipment.

PleaseFixPacket
      New Contributor

File an FCC complaint. It's the only thing that's gotten me any traction with Cox and even then no fix yet.

The alternative is to keep calling in and talking with tier 1 techs who ask you to unplug your modem and plug it back in again.

Or suffer being told "if you are experiencing Packet Loss, High Latency, or Slow Connections, please visit our link here" by Cox. 

PCracer51
      New Contributor

Same here in Chesapeake.  Random drops over the past 2 days where downstream goes to 0.10Mbps in speed tests. Spent an hour in chat with level 1, no solution.