Forum Discussion

Aspire37
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Constant T3 timeouts for the last 3-4 weeks.

Hey everyone,

For the last 3-4 weeks, I have been experiencing drops in my internet connection. I'll be in online meetings or just randomly browsing the internet and the internet will cut out. Most of the times it will only last for a minute or two and then be working again.The lights on the mode don't show any disconnection when it happens, except for yesterday when it rebooted by itself strangely, but all the other times, the lights are fine.

Since I'm working from home these days, these disconnections during live meetings is really affecting my work. It seems like they are happening more frequently. So i went and checked my Arris sb6141 modem logs, and they are made up of mostly T3 timeouts.

I called cox and the lady didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I asked about signals coming to my house maybe being bad. She assumed I was talking about wifi signals. She went through all the usual steps that I had already taken before checking logs such as: reseating coax, hard reset, connecting straight to modem by bypassing wifi router, etc.She said I was connected but I tried letting her know, that these disconnections happen all throughout the day and connection is lost for 1-2 minutes at a time.

And then she proceeded to say I needed to buy a new modem. Needless to say, none of this helped and again, the internet went out not even an hour after getting off the phone. 

I am really frustrated, and don't know who to contact to get this problem addressed as normal tech support hasn't helped. Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated.

12 Replies

• No, if you search for the T3 errors you can see almost a decade of inability for them to fix it.  They will reset your modem, swap out coax, eliminate every splitter, and you can even be the first drop closest to their backend...and you will still get T3 and T4 errors.  I suggest we have to get organized because they're obviously not willing to own the problem and fix it.

Today I got kicked from 3 meetings, rebooted 3 times, all with strong up channel and down channel S/N ratios.  The moment Google or someone else provides an alternative, I am gone.  My entire house is ethernet (no wifi for any computer, laptop or game console and I don't even turn wifi on the iPhones because Cox is either down or worse than AT&T 5g).  I have a CCNA in Routing and Switching, so I'm very versed in local troubleshooting.

yogse
      New Contributor

The sequence of events you described is 100% exactly what I went through around a year ago when I experienced severe packet loss and had to fight Cox for 6 months straight. It wasn't until I got an awesome field supervisor for my area to actually put me on ping plotter to see that there was something going on. 

Hopefully with the current lockdown situation it'll soon be enough reason for them to actually check out our nodes.

Aspire37
      New Contributor II

You're right, this is getting ridiculous. I am tired of going through to reset, bypass, swap modem routine they run us through. It's their issue, not ours but they don't think we know this. This is frustrating, especially now, when everything I do is dependent on being online. You would think someone who works at Cox could help. Apparently not. Time to look for alternatives.

LisaH
      Hi Johnschubert. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We can definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    MartinB3
    New Contributor II

I see the same, and I've had service techs out, and I've even bought a backup modem so I can show them it's broken on both. So far as I can tell, there's just random upstream noise -- channels never resync, modem doesn't reboot. It feels like Cox should (a) be able to monitor and detect this and (b) care more about proactively notifying us and fixing it.

Seagrag
    New Contributor

Same for the last week. Their support employees using text or chat seem illiterate. They couldn't send one coherent message.

Does Cox monitor these posts or is it another act of incompetence on their part?

LisaH
      HI Seagrag. We can definitely assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • @Aspire37. I can confirm that the modem is reporting multiple time out errors at this time. Also, your upstream channel is reporting poor levels. I recommend having a tech come out and evaluate the situation onsite. Please send us an email with your full name and address to cox.help@cox.com so we can help get this issue resolved for you. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      mdprg__
      New Contributor

Facing the same issue in Irvine,CA. Getting garbled voice trasmitted to the other side is very embarrassing. SpeedTests show a decent up/down speed but the intermittent disconnects cause even basic audio communication to be a disaster. My Vzw data plan is more reliable than my Cox Home internet.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        @mdprg__, Are you on WiFi or hard-wired directly to the modem when this happens. Are you using a VPN? For additional support, please email us at Cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator