Forum Discussion

tunes10590
New Contributor
6 years ago

Cannot connect Netgear C6250 (retail purchased, not Cox owned)

Hello,

I just setup a new account with Cox and cannot get connected to the internet. The Cox reps assure me that my account is activated, but cannot find any reason for the issue.   We’ve done countless resets of the modem.  The Cox rep now believes it may be an issue with the line, but I live in an apartment and am about 90% sure the tenants before me had internet as well, so I find that difficult to believe.  And I am loathed to take a day off from work for a tech visit, given that they will not be able to do much, since the device is not a Cox modem. 

Has anyone experienced problems getting the Netgear C6250 properly connected? I really don’t want to return this modem/router and go through the whole process again with another manufacturer’s device, but I will if necessary.  Is there any way to confirm where the root of the issue lies (modem, cable line, account access)?

Thanks in advance. 

7 Replies

AgingHippie
    New Contributor

Netgear reviews on Amazon are more than half fake reviews, and the real ratings for their equipment tends to hover around 1-2 stars.  If it's not too late, you might want to take it back and get a Motorola or an Arris.

• Hi Tunes10590, your Netgear C6250 modem is successfully online and communicating with the Cox network. Are you trying to access the internet using a wireless device, or a device connected to the Netgear with an ethernet cord? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      tunes10590
      New Contributor

Hi Becky. Thanks for the update. I have tried multiple things. I have connected via WiFi an iMac, my iPhone, and my android tablet (not all at the same time). I also connected my roku with an Ethernet cable. All of those devices indicated that they were connected to the router/modem, but no internet access was available. 

tunes10590
      New Contributor

I also just tried my work laptop via both WiFi and Ethernet. Both connections showed it was connecting to the local network (I assume that means the modem) but no internet connection. 

Becky
        Hi Tunes10590, a "local network connection" is when you connect a device like a laptop to the modem via an ethernet cord. Keep in mind that each time you connect a different device to the Netgear C6250 with an ethernet cord, you must reset the modem by unplugging the power for 30 seconds. After you plug the power back in, give the Netgear modem several minutes to complete the boot process. Try the following steps to see if you can get online: Unplug the power from the Netgear C6250. Connect the Netgear C6250 to your work laptop via an ethernet cord. Plug the power in. Wait until the first four lights (Power, Downstream, Upstream, and Internet) on the Netgear C6250 are solid green before powering up the laptop. If the laptop power is already on, restart the laptop at this point. The laptop should recognize the local area network upon reboot. A solid green Internet light on the Netgear C6250 means you are connected to the Internet. The 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz lights on the front of the modem should also be solid green; these are your wireless networks. If neither of the 2.5 GHz or 5 GHz lights are lit, press the WiFi On/Off button located on the side of the modem. Open an internet browser like Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, or Firefox and type in "www.Cox.com" to see if you can access the Cox website. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator