Forum Discussion

MissB
New Contributor
2 years ago

Recordings are randomly being deleted off my DVR

The problem with my Record 2 DVR is recordings (shows & movies) are randomly disappearing off my DVR without being deleted and they do not show up in the deleted file. I can’t tell you how many times I have unplugged the box and plugged it back in to reboot, done an automatic reset, had Cox do a reset, etc. and nothing helps or solves the issue.

One example is I’ve been recording the tv series Chucky since October 2022. I have 8 episodes recorded, all set to Save For 1 Year, and episode 3 randomly deleted itself 1 month after the recording. Now episode 2 has mysteriously deleted itself as well. Episodes 1 and 4-8 are still saved on my Contour saved recordings list. So saving a show or movie with the option of “Save For 1 Year” does absolutely nothing since it still gets deleted/disappears by itself without me physically deleting the show or movie.

I just swapped out my old Record 2 DVR box at the end of August 2022 for a new Record 2 DVR box and now the same thing is happening with this new “refurbished” box that was happening with my old box that I had.

I seriously think this is being done on purpose to get us to go to the box that records to the cloud, which is additional money. Everyone I spoke to at Cox about this issue either says the box should not be automatically deleting shows & movies and that’s it’s an issue with the box and needs to be replaced or they say they are baffled why recordings are randomly disappearing off my DVR.

For the money I pay per month for Cox this issue should not be happening, and not with two different boxes within 2 months of each other. 

35 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • This exact thing happened to me today. I have a ARRIS AX013NM receiver. Very frustrating.

DavidA2
    Former Moderator
    Hi MissB,

I am sorry to hear that you have been having trouble with the DVR. Please feel free to email us at Cox.help@cox.com with your service address and a link to this forum thread. We want to help you get to the bottom of this.

David
    Cox Forums Moderator
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

This has been reported by a number of customers.  What brand and model receiver do you have?  Is it the same model as the one you swapped out in August?

Identifying Your Cox Digital Receiver 

This may be a Contour issue or it may be an issue with a particular type of receiver. 

For others with this issue, it might be possible to identify a common factor if you post your brand/model receiver and include the DVR service you have, i.e. Record 6, Record 2, Cloud.

Louie_vig
      New Contributor II

Happens to me as well.  I have an Arris AX013NC with Record 6 service.

MissB
      New Contributor

It’s Arris AX013ANM. I’m pretty sure it’s the same exact model as the previous one I had. 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

I don't see that brand and model in the published list of Cox receivers.  Did you get them from Cox?  Contour could have compatibility issues with that receiver.  We need others who've had your issue to post their brand and model receiver and the DVR service they had, to see if there is anything they have in common.

Duran_Duran
      New Contributor III

FWIW, I've posted about the same problem previously. I have a 2 rec Arris AX013NC from Cox.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

You got the cable box from Cox, but a common factor between you and MissB is that you both have Arris brand receivers that aren't on their published list.  Disruptions in the supply chain may have caused Cox to use brand and model receivers that weren't properly tested and aren't fully compatible with Contour.

Does the issue ever occur after you've recently rebooted your cable box?  Or is it usually after a lengthy amount of time?  The next time recordings are missing, reboot the box and note the date to determine the amount of time before it happens again.  It could be due to a cumulative memory issue with the workaround being a periodic maintenance reboot.

• Hello All, 

I am sorry to hear that you all have been experiencing trouble with recordings being deleted. A few things to look at is how long the recording has been there and also what the percentage of hard drive usage is. If the program is less than a year and the hard is not close to being full, there may be something else going on. There are some troubleshooting steps that can be taken to try to recover those recordings.

First, We would want to powercycle the cable box.
    1. Unplug the receiver's power cord from the electrical outlet.
    2. Wait 30 seconds.
    3. Plug the power back in to the same outlet.
    4. Press the power button on the front panel of the receiver. The receiver will begin to power back on.

Next, we want to sync the DVR.
    1. Using the Cox remote press the Contour button.
    2. Highlight the Gear icon, then press OK to access the Settings menu.
    3. Highlight the Device Settings, then press OK.
    4. Highlight Sync DVR, then press OK twice to begin the DVR Sync.

Finally, go to live TV and try to record something for about 1 minute and then play it back. If you still have trouble with recordings being erased or missing, please email our team at cox.help@cox.com with your name, address, and details about what you are experiencing and what you have tried to resolve the issue. 

Tiffany R. 

Cox Support Forum Moderator

Bone
      New Contributor II

Hi, my recordings were just a few weeks old and my percentage of hard drive usage is only 5%. My recent experience is I recored shows on Monday January 30th. By Wednesday February 1 they were gone. I just swapped out the box in December. A Cox service person came to my place and did the swap for me. I am on my 3rd box within a year. Do you have other ones besides the Arris brand that is 6 records?