Forum Discussion

kilkenny
New Contributor II
11 months ago

Asked for new ip, said my ip was bogon!

I am chatting with support. Asked for a new ip because I believe mine was being hacked. He said my ip address was 10.x.x.x. I looked it up and it's an unregistered ip address. Bogon they call it. Should I be concerned?

It wasn't the ip address that's displayed with whatsmyip. That one is normal.

26 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

It's the IP address assigned to the modem, not the routable IP address assigned to the router for your devices to access the internet. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Not only does the modem get assigned a 10.x.x.x IP for diagnostics but Cox(and other ISP) uses the 10.x.x.x space for routing too. AKA you will see it in a tracert.

As for how to get a new IP address, what model router do you have? If the router has something called MAC cloning you can change your WAN MAC and then reboot the modem for a new public IP. If you have a Cox Panoramic gateway you are out of luck I think. The only way to change the IP is to get a whole new gateway. 

kilkenny
        New Contributor II

I've got a netgear CM1000v2. Trying to find out how to do it there.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Reps can see a lot of things on their end.  This particular rep...or bot...didn't know what they were looking at.  Perhaps send an email to Cox.

kilkenny
    New Contributor II

Looking to get my NETGEAR CM1000v2 to issue me a new ip address. It's been the same for 2 years. Identity theft victim here.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

It's the ROUTER connected to the netgear that gets the WAN ip address. the Replace the router, or change the MAC ID of the router. 

kilkenny
        New Contributor II

You mean my Google Nest? That determines my public ip? I just installed that a year ago and my public ip didn't change. How do I do this on Nest?