Forum Discussion

Naito
New Contributor II
2 years ago

How to ask for credit?

Cox increased my Internet from 50Mbps to 150Mbps on 7/5/2022, and then increased my billing 8/5/2022 to a higher price.  I had not asked for the bandwidth increase, and being on a fixed income, I want to keep my cost minimal.

50Mbps was fine because I'm a senior.  My children and grandchildren attempted to help me reduce the circuit back to the original 50Mbps and lower my bill closer to what I was originally paying.  Attempts to reach customer service usually failed, or when I reached customer service, I needed to speak to another department that was always seemed to be closed. Customer service tried to help me downgrade the bandwidth and cost, but it wouldn't let them either. I was asked to call in again to a department that I couldn't leave messages.

On 4/4/2023, the website appears to have finally worked, and yet instead of getting the lower fee, again I was billed at the higher rates.  My son helped checked the status it says that they're waiting for documents.  I resubmitted 4/8/2023, and this time the order appears to have been completed.

On my son's rare visits, he usually only received 50Mbps on speedtest in this period.  My grandson had similar results.

I am a senior, and can only speak to customer service when my children and grandchildren come on the weekend to try to help me. I feel like Cox is taking advantage of me.

3 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

I am a senior and have no problems contacting Cox. Currently your issue is easily resolved by contacting your local Cox sales, or retention/loyalty department. 

FYI, the OLD essential Internet speed way back was 50 mbps, and they increased it, at no cost. I think what actually happened to you is, you have a special pricing for 1 or 2 years, and the special pricing rolled off, and your price increased to the normal price. Talk to sales, or to Loyalty/Retention. They can help you lower your bill. 

Naito
      New Contributor II

I was always referred to loyalty/retention, but every time I called or was transferred, I got the message that they were closed.

I was on Internet Essentials.  And yes, they first increased my bandwidth from 50Mbps to 150Mbps on 7/2022.  Unfortunately, the next month increased my fee by $20 and the plan name changed.  I spent hours trying to find someone to speak to while my son or grandson visited.

It was finally fixed today for future bills, but the bigger problem was Cox upgraded my plan without permission despite my profile being a low data user.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

They didn't upgrade your plan, what they did was raise the speed of the plan you were on, call it something else. You had essential service, it was renamed to essential classic and upgraded to 150 MBPS, price remained the same. The STARTER tier was upgraded to 100mbps, and renamed Essential 100. Yours was simply renamed to essential classic to differentiate between it and the new essential 100. The pricing remained the same. Like I said, you probably were on a 1 or 2 year discounted rate plan, and it rolled off, which is why your pricing went up, the name of the plane and the extra speed had nothing to do with it.