Forum Discussion

New Contributor II
4 years ago

Months of poor internet performance; what will it take to get an actual repair?

Here's the deal, Cox.  The problem I'm having is a combination of 902MHz ISM ingress and an exceedingly poor gain structure. And probably an "over-subscribed node", but that's just a hunch.

It's not my modem, it's not the wiring in my house (I own an RF network analyzer), it's not downstream signal levels (8.1dB-2.5dBmV), it's not downstream SNR (>37.9dB). 

It is the Cox equipment and network. 

How do I get in touch with someone at Cox that knows what any of these words mean? 

I don't want another "tech" to come out and lop off $50 of Canare F-Conn, calling them "junk" only to have me go back and replace the radio shack grade F-conn's he installed in their place with the wrong sized crimp die.  I don't want to have to explain why a directional coupler is different than a power splitter. 

As a matter of fact, I don't want -or need- to see the Cox tech at all, because the problem is not on my property.

Who do I need to talk to?

9 Replies

• Wow - this is interesting.  We too seem to be part of an 'over subscribed node', 500 homes or so from what I understand.  And Cox seems to think our house is sending ingress back into their system.  Do you know of anyone with a RF Network Analyzer who could determine, independently of Cox, whether or not it's true, and if it is, which one of our seven, built-into our 1970's house could be constituted as 'bad' drops by Cox.  Their 'tech-support' came out last week, did exactly as you said by lopping of connectors in our box, and now my speeds have dropped from the contracted 150-200mb to under 130.  Any ideas or suggestions?

thesixcarrs
    New Contributor II

I don't know what most of these words mean, but I'm in the same boat.  I suspect due to the inconsistencies of my internet issues that it's a node issue, but I haven't a clue what to do about it.

Allan
      @Thesixcarrs, Your modem is reporting a lot of time out errors at this time. Are there any splitters or signal amps on the cable line going to the modem? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
        thesixcarrs
        New Contributor II

As of typing this right now, my upload speed is around 10-50kbps. Download is 50Mbps.:)

One hour ago it was 31Mbps Up, 600+ Down.

I literally livestream, fileshare, screenshare, do all sorts of things that require a solid upload, this is so incredibly frustrating.

Karen_R
    Former Moderator
    Hello ,

Thank you for reaching out to Cox Forum Support. We can investigate the issue with the internet performance. Please send an email with this forum link, your full name, and address to cox.help@cox.com. We will reply back once we receive the email. Thanks

Karen
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Dave9
    Contributor III

I know what those words mean but I don't work for Cox. Sorry. Your best hope is to schedule a tech and request that they send an employee not a contractor. Most techs won't know what you're talking about but if you get lucky you might get someone who does. Don't bother with chat support for something like this. Use phone or e-mail support only.

Dammitjim
    New Contributor II

I'm having exactly this same issue, and all I was told was "We're aware of an issue in your area and we hope to have it fixed in the coming weeks." No timeline, no description, no service discount since I can barely use the service... I was also told it has nothing to do with having 500Mbps (requires 32 channels) and wouldn't go away if I dropped to a lower package and used a Docsis 3.0 modem. But I can't really believe anything they say, it seems to all be coordinated to convince me to purchase a "technical support" subscription on top of the terrible service agreement I have.

New Contributor II

Just to add, shortly after this post was made a new channel profile was pushed to my modem that mapped around 902ISM, basically solving my connection problem for a few days. 

As of a couple of  hours ago another new profile was pushed utilizing channels 21-25 (903MHz - 927MHz centers), the problems recurred. 

I "refreshed" the modem and only channels 21 and 25 from the 902 band bound, the problem is diminished, but still extant.  The event log in the modem is recording errors associated with those two channels, which it hadn't before.  Interesting.