Forum Discussion

Smokeytheflea
New Contributor III
4 years ago

Ping Spikes and Jitter

Hello all! As the subject says I am having some serious ping spikes/ Jitter issues over the past month. I have been in contact with several phone reps and 1 tech that has found 'nothing wrong' even though I am getting errors on my modem saying 'T-3' and T-4 time-out'. Power levels are fine with the exception of upstream being slightly lower than recommend specs for router( actual -39.75dBmV to 40.25dBmV) which is normally fine.I haven replaced all hardware and cables my end. I preform all my tests without a router and only use cat5e directly to my PC. It almost seems like Cox does not want to run a new coax for drop or inside my home, as I suggested it to the tech as a possible fix and was basically told that if he gets good signal, they wont do it. He was looking at my Ping plotter with packet loss and Jitter over 30-40 and he said the signal looks fine. Really? Also browsing through the forums here, I have noticed there seem to be other people with the same issue. Is this a known issue? It seems that a lot of people are claiming that the nodes are overwhelmed in specific neighborhoods. Look, I understand there is a lot of people working from home right now but this issue has been going on much longer than that. I am at my wits end and about to call Century Link because I'd rather have slow internet than unstable internet. If anyone has any thoughts on this, it would be appreciated! 

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    EricB
    Contributor

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us  if you want cox to notice or care... file a complaint with the FCC... I've been a cox customer for 15+ years, and legit..... FCC complaint is the only way they will pay attention to you and your issue. You will here from them within 24-48hrs, and they are required by law to not only contact you, but investigate the issue, and provide a resolution to both you, and the FCC

jonathonjoseph
      Contributor

ericb They must be backlogged on FCC complaints, mine was sent to Cox on the 26th but no response yet. Internet reached levels today where I can no longer work from home off my company VPN. The good news is I work for a very large tech company in a rather high up position and so our legal team is now getting involved since its directly impacts COVID-19 relief that my company/team is coordinating. But this issue that everyone is having now has existed for 2 plus years in my neighborhood as the node has been saturated that long and I have well documented escalations and attempts to drive a resolution with Cox over those two years. 

women-tiger
    New Contributor III

Just like most people here , we all have the same problem but cox wont admit is on their end. I spent half hour last night with their tech. Ran the test and everything , he said everything seems ok. I'm thinking I will just switch to Century Link for their fiber optic because I'm getting a runaround from cox.

• Hi Smokeytheflea, your modem metrics are well within our preferred specifications and the modem isn't reporting any packet loss. Please post a few PingPlotter examples showing packet loss. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Smokeytheflea
      New Contributor III

I have a signal tech coming today. Funny, as it seems that is the only reply I get from them. 'Everything looks good on our end'. ITS NOT! You think I am calling almost everyday because I have nothing better to do? Also, it seems that a lot of other people are having this problem. I am done wasting my time with Cox. I already plan on going to Century Link if this tech tells me the same thing. 

Smokeytheflea
      New Contributor III

This is this morning for about an hour. As you can clearly see, ping spikes and Jitter jumps quite often.

enrapt
        New Contributor III

Here is mine from yesterday (San Diego, CA). Been like this on most days in the past weeks. Also overall the network performance hasn't been ever that great.

Smokeytheflea
    New Contributor III

photos.app.goo.gl/KAqAhYB722m5dVdh8

New pictures are from this morning. Yesterday at 1PM a tech said no packet loss, no modem errors, and very low ping/Jitter. Weird, cause if you look at my modems error codes, they occurred When He Was Here! Thousands of uncorrectables,Time sync failures, and T3 and T4 timeouts. I am clearly having issues with 10.53.128.1, which is my first hop pinging 8.8.8.8.

There is obviously something wrong here at the 10.53.128.1. Hey Mods, do you guys own 10.53.128.1? Also let me know if you guys can/can't see my pictures and please upload yours to this post as well. 

Edit:

Updated photo link as I added some more pictures. 

From 8:48am to 8:52am I had perfect signal. Can support look and see if anything was different on my Node or even if my neighbors were on?  I even checked the house to see if could duplicate the results by turning off certain lights and HVAC. Yes, a little extreme but I'll try anything at this point. 

I noticed the 1st hop stopped responding a couple minutes before things got MUCH better for 4 minutes too but I am guessing it's not related.