Forum Discussion

pd91
New Contributor III
5 years ago

TO EVERYONE experiencing packet loss / horrible lag on fortnite as of this past week

The packet loss is back after 4-5 months. Any and all help you receive from a COX rep here will be a flat out lie to you. For 4 months I worked with COX, epic, and amazon to figure out the packet loss issues we all were having. The issue has to do with faulty hardware COX purchased in the past, which reorders packets when it shouldn't when dealing with bursty UDP packet uploads to Amazon Web Services servers. There is no fix for this issue aside from some technical patch COX would have to create which MAY fix the issue, OR they would have to order all new hardware to replace the defective stuff they bought ~ a year ago.

Here is one of 3 of my posts that caught attention from Epic on reddit and actually got everyone to look into the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/9wiwxm/i_made_a_montage_showcasing_the_connectivity/

Here is the post epic released after developing a packet reordering fix SPECIFICALLY TO AID COX AND MEND THE PROBLEM, unfortunately only for 4 months.   During this time, COX did nothing for any of you - they did not fix their hardware, they let the crutch provided by epic carry them through the packet loss issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/awagpo/packet_reordering_technical_post/

More likely than not they will do nothing to solve this. You will not receive help here. Feel free to message me here with any questions 🙂

I've already gotten back in contact with epic, they're looking into it again for us. There is NO true solution besides dropping Cox as your ISP. I do not know how what they're doing is actually legal. :)

8 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Pd91, at this time, are not detecting any packet loss on your modem. Would you be able to provide a traceroute to Amazon's web server, so we can have this investigated further? Any packet loss occurring off of the Cox network is outside the scope of our troubleshooting. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      pd91
      New Contributor III

We both know a traceroute will do nothing :) I can name drop one of your network engineers and you could get me into contact with him again maybe? :) He's based in AZ

OpenBSD
      Contributor II

Please mark KevinM2's post as spam. This is the same copy and paste spam reply that he keeps posting when someone has packet loss. In this specific case, everyone knows now that "a traceroute will do nothing". I'm based out of Tucson AZ by the way.

BlackWat3r
    New Contributor III

Just made a long thread myself on this issue and I have confirmed the issue to be two things:

1) I was finally told yesterday that the node I am on is at 100% usage in non peak hours which is causing a massive slowdown.

2) Because they are at max usage, they are throttling peoples internet to compensate. People getting caught in this net are going to be gamers/streamers. 

To expand: I was told they would be adding more equipment or something to handle the overload and that it would be fixed within a week. I will report back if this fixes the issue that I have had everyday for two months.

pd91
      New Contributor III

I've talked with lead network engineers at both amazon and cox for 4 months. It sounds like the issue you're having is something different. I am specifically talking about packet loss to AWS hosted games like fortnite. This has nothing to do with overloaded nodes and throttling - this has to do with packet reordering. Just read my post man.

Zurq
    Contributor II

Mine got fixed, went from constant 2-10% to 0

Zurq
        Contributor II

they did something, a tech fixed it apparently. Multiple people in my area was affected and I guess it got fixed somehow, and I upgraded to a better internet plan, for only 20$ more and everything is peachy.