Forum Discussion

juntis
New Contributor
7 years ago

Constant Outages and Fraudulent Speed

Hey, I have had tech support over to my house several times since starting Cox six months ago. Both the technicians and the phone people are incredibly kind people, and helped out as much as they could.

However: I am paying you money for 5 megs per second. Internet access is wildly inconsistent throughout the day. Videos often just cut out and stop working randomly, too. This moment very moment, for instance, I have a video trying to play, which has been playing for 10 minutes just fine, and now it's just clogged up and not working. This is quite consistent. The fact it was even playing at all is beyond my comprehension. I am of the theory that either you throttle my internet access at random times throughout the day, or your broadband is total garbage. I have checked my modem consistently, researched the issue thoroughly, and it is not my end that is at fault here. My computer is new-ish, and has no trouble accessing the internet when I am connected to other sources.

So I ask you: I am paying you money for internet. Your internet is insanely low quality, and not of the advertised speed. I have had accounts with CenturyLink for years, paid for this very speed, and had consistently fast and accessible speeds throughout my time with them.

Your internet at this same speed is total garbage. I was REQUIRED to get your internet by the apartment complex I was in, and received no discount because of it. I had to sign a contracted given to that company by Cox saying that I could only get Cox. It had a Cox header on it too, giving it an official-looking tinge of something Cox gave to that company. So I'm just stuck with you because you either paid off my apartment complex, and/or because you cut up the city (Tempe, AZ) in such a way that it renders it impossible for me to go to any other company that would probably not charge their customers $30 for garbage internet.

I guess my question is a basic one: why does your internet *** so much? Is this something your company has sought to create? Did it get too good and you decided to scale back its quality (i.e., become a "gatekeeper" that screws all non-corporate websites)? Or is running an ISP so difficult that you cannot make it work well, work consistently, or work in a way that benefits the customer?

Please answer me. I sick of this **.

9 Replies

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @whydoyousucksomuch

I did take a look at the connection from this end and all seems well as far as I can tell. Can you try signing into your http://www.cox.com account and running a few speed tests there both with and without the router?

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @whydoyousucksomuch

Showing the modem been online 21 days. When streaming video are you hardwired directly to the modem/router or wireless also, are you having multiple devices accessing the internet at the same time when streaming?

juntis
    New Contributor

It's a wireless router connected to a modem. It is just me. Honestly, I feel like Cox is throttling me, or just has sloppy connections in this city. I just watch videos here and it barely works. Why am I not given the speed I am paid for?

• whydoyousucksomuch

It's impossible to guarantee any specific wireless speeds because that technology does not exist. It sounds like you may be a bit too far from the wireless router. Also, with any wireless connection it's likely that you will lose some of that speed, you're service level of Internet that you have with us could also be a contributor to the issues that you're having as well.

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
    juntis
    New Contributor

...It is impossible to guarantee specific wireless speeds? Excuse me? Dude, that's your company's business model. I am paying for a certain amount, and you're not giving me anywhere close to that. That is false advertising on the most basic sense. It certainly seems like you are giving me some bottom barrel garbage connection and claiming that it is, apparently, my fault for presuming that I am going to get that speed. I would like your company to upgrade my speed for free on a permanent basis to settle this connection issue.

And I am sitting four feet from the wireless router.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @whydoyousucksomuch

If testing without the router isn't possible it might be helpful to reach out to Netgear to see if they can offer any assistance.

https://www.netgear.com/home/contact-us/default.aspx

juntis
    New Contributor

It's not netgear's fault. It's Cox. This router and modem worked beautifully when I was with CenturyLink. It is Cox's bad connection.

It did it again, by the way.

So should we handle this disgruntled customer service situation by dismissing the issue as being the customer's fault?

• Hello, The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need for someone to look into your account personally. We can definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.