Forum Discussion

Taurine
New Contributor
4 months ago

Constant outages lately

Not sure what exactly is going on since details are bever shared, but all for the last 3 weeks I've had nothing but connection issues.  Finally had a tech come out, replaced some coax, upgraded the modem, tested everything and said it's good to go. The rest of the weekend was up and down.  Constantly dropping connections and could not watch a full playoff game. The service quality is getting ridiculous, Google Fiber can't get here fast enough.

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Are the connection problems declared outages? If so, there isn't much us users can help with. If not, and it's a intermittent problem, we might be able to help isolate the problem, but it will probably require a technician for an actual solution. For help, what model modem do you have?

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but if you could clarify your issues, it would help us help you.  

1. When answering WiderMouthOpen 's questions about declared outages and model of  modem, please indicate if Internet and/or television services were disrupted. 
    2. Do you know what the tech tested?  Did he climb the pole?
    3. Do you know if your neighbors were affected?
    4. Did you lose all Internet and/or television service or is it just degraded quality?  If it's the latter, what were your symptoms?
    5. How long did the connection issues normally last?
    6. If issues were momentary, did you notice the lights flicker which could mean a brief power interruption?  Have you had to reset any electrical appliances due to power outage?  Do you have a battery backup with software statistics of power issues?
      WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Good questions but I give it a 50% chance of getting a response from OP. I am east coast so it's about my bedtime.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

Ah, yes.  The elusive first-time poster.  On the off-chance OP does reply, do whatever you can.  If you haven't solved it, I'll be back tomorrow afternoon if I have any different ideas.

Taurine
      New Contributor

Appreciate the response, answers below.  When the signal is disrupted, the primary issue is packet loss and upload speed. This happens on a wired connection and on all wireless bands. Utilizing the newest panoramic modem from cox, as well as a Commscope Cat6a patch cord, directly attached to the modem. Technician was here 2 days ago and replaced some coax. Everything tested out great, until 4 hours later, when the issues returned

-----When answering WiderMouthOpen 's questions about declared outages and model modem, please indicate if Internet and/or television services were disrupted. 

Only internet is subscribed, so i cannotspeak to the television. Outages were not declared until after I contacted tech support on most occasions.

-----Do you know what the tech tested?  Did he climb the pole?

There is no pole, the majority of cable in the Phoenix area is underground. I highly doubt they tested the connections past my premises, as they were on-site the entire time. He tested signal on all the cables from the connection on the road to the modem. Replaced 1 cable and removed an erroneous splitter causing some leakage.

-----Do you know if your neighbors were affected?

No, but the outage notificationwent to the area after my calls

----‐Did you lose all Internet and/or television service or is it just degraded quality?  If it's the latter, what were your symptoms?

download speed are degraded, and upload speed bottom out. Packet loss climbs to 50%+

------How long did the connection issues normally last?

Some ar brief, 1-5 minutes. Other times they linger for hours.

-----If issues were momentary, did you notice the lights flicker which could mean a brief power interruption?  Have you had to reset any electrical appliances due to power outage?  Do you have a battery backup with software statistics of power issues?

There are no power issues at the location, or in the area.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

Thank you for your thorough reply.  WiderMouthOpen  is the top contributor on the forums for your issue.  He'll be back in the morning with any follow-up questions.  You're in good hands.  Good luck, good night and God bless.