Forum Discussion

Treefa
New Contributor
5 years ago

New TCL 65" Roku tv - HD nowhere to be seen

I am going crazy with the clarity of the video picture on cox.  We used to have SD and HD channels.  There is no difference in the clarity.  I spoke with cox rep for Oklahoma and they said cox updated all digital to HD so I would see no difference.  The problem is, the picture is fuzzy.  Not clear like a true HD channel should be.  I am currently using tivo bolt, cox tuning adapter, cable card and HDMI to connect.  I am so frustrated with the fuzzy picture!  Any suggestions?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hello, is one receiver affected or is this happening on all receivers in the home?? The reason that the SD and HD channels are now identical is that our video format has been dual-mapped. Meaning, the HD channels are also set to the SD location, rending the "higher channels" obsolete. Can you please check the aspect ratio settings on both the TiVo Bolt and TV itself? Does this happen with live sporting events? Live sporting events are not compressed as much before being sent to you and are therefore sensitive to signal issues at the home. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Treefa
      New Contributor

I have a tv in another room using a tivo mini and it has a better picture.  I have another tv in another bedroom with a contour box, and the picture is like the living room.  It is a good picture, but it definitely is not quality HD, like I am used to seeing on my tv at home in DC with tivo and xfinity.  Typically on HD, I can see the pores of someone's face.  Now it is like a soft filter is applied.  It is driving me crazy!

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Do you have the TCL configured to additionally process the video?  Meaning, did you set its Picture Mode as Cinema, Movie, Sports, Vivid, Dynamic, etc?  The only default setting I'd avoid would be its TV Brightness setting:  set it to Normal.

You could also just have a faulty box.  These cable boxes are reissued and supposedly bench-checked.  However, I've had a couple devices from Cox (cable box, eMTA) that would have never passed any acceptance inspection...let alone a visual inspection.  Swap-tronics!

Treefa
      New Contributor

I have a cable card and a tuning adapter on the bolt and TCL tv.  Would I need to swap out the tuning adapter only?  Linking the cable card is such a fiasco I hate to touch it!  LOL  I think the TVL is set to normal.  It is set to auto on both tv and tivo and on tcl it is set to hdmi 2.0

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

My fault.  You did write cablecard and I assumed cable box.

Are there any updates available for the TCL, TiVo, cablecard?  I'm not sure if Cox issues the cablecard or adapter or how it even gets updates.  They may have to "push" it.